Best Processing/Killing Method----PLEASE HELP!

TexasLady

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
I do not like this part of raising chickens, but it is one I know that I must do. I would much rather find my roosters in the freezer than in a cock fight (where many of them will go here in California if I sell them). The roosters that are sold are often used to train the cocks to fight. If the rooster is winning, he is injured so that their fighting cock can beat them up and kill them. Some are put in the ring with

Years ago, I set up an appointment with a man who took my roosters to harvest them. I watched him do the killing because I wanted to be sure that they were processed humanely.

He turned the birds upside down, hooking their legs in metal clips that held the birds so they could not fly away (he had a harvesting plant). Then he took a small pocket knife, stuck it into the roof of the bird's mouth, and the bird died instantly. I counted the second one he did, and he flapped for 30 seconds. The third one flapped for 20 seconds. I was surprised at how humane this appeared as I anticipated he was just going to cut off the bird's head like I'd seen done many times. Grandma used to do this, and I was required to hold them to the ground for several minutes to keep them from flying. If I was not there or didn't do it, she put them in a sack, and they would flap around for minutes. If the chickens got away, they might fly over the hen house, and it would often take two to three minutes before they were completely still. I always hated it!

The man who did the butchering explained that this method was far better for several reasons:

1) When the brain was entered, the bird became unconscious immediately. This was a wonderful relief to me because I believe cutting off the head has to be up to several minutes of pain because they do so much flapping. With this method, the bird only flapped for seconds. I felt a great relief to see how much more humane it seemed to be.
2) He explained, when stabbed, the brain began to bleed heavily. This great letting of blood cleaned the blood out of the bird which added to the better taste of the flesh, and he believed it made the meat more tender (though he said he couldn't prove it).
3) Additionally, when the brain was cut, the feathers released instantly. I did not believe this because my grandmother had butchered chickens by cutting off heads. And plucking was done by scalding, pulling bunches of feathers out, re-dipping, and pulling out the rest of the wet feathers. Yuck! This was a stinky, smelly job, and I didn't enjoy eating chicken that day for lunch--the smell was still on my hands! I was incredulous, and he could see I did not believe that the feathers actually were easy to remove. So, as he pulled out a handful of feathers, he said, "Here, try it!" I took a handful, and they nearly fell out in my hand! What a shock!

A couple of years ago, I tried this method. It was AWFUL! I could not find the right spot to stab, and the poor birds suffered way too long. I ended up crying, my husband was angry and yelling at me, and he said he was not going to get involved in chicken butchering again. It was about as unpleasant as it could get.

So I went to the Internet and looked up the method. I found a single article on how to do it, read the article numerous times even locating an article on a chicken's brain and the placement in the head, and then tried another one. Still no luck.

So I called the local 4H folks, but they were clueless about how to do it. I called several other people that I thought might know, but nobody knew. Everyone said, "Just chop off their heads." I found nobody who could explain it to me, and I gave up on seeking an expert.

I haven't butchered my roosters now for abour four years (because I was so traumatized from that experience). But the alternative is that I take them to auction, and they are sold as roosters to whoever wants to buy them. I sold one the other day for $3. I put more food into him, and if he went for fighting, I am just encouraging this horrible sport. That is unbearable to me, and I am having horrible feelings that he went as a fighting partner. I can't get that out of my thoughts.

I have about ten three month old roosters (from the chicks I purchased). I do not want to sell them. I would far rather be sure that they are not used for fighting. But keeping ten roosters will only result in fighting here at my place! I'm in a "No Win" situation unless I butcher them myself. Since I can't keep ten roosters, I really need to learn how to do this killing method properly so that they do not suffer.

Can anyone help me understand how to do this method? I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. But I know this--I can't take another experience like that last time.

I don't know about that method but my great-grandma taught my dad (a city boy) how to butcher our roosters. She put two nails in a long thick board, so that they made a V shape. Then you put the roosters neck there. She didn't know this but I found it out last year. There is a spot on chickens, right at the wing joint, and if you gently press right there they calm down. Hold that place for a few seconds to keep them calm. My dad uses a sharp hatchet, but I don't know what Grammie used. She said that they flap less if you cut lower down. I don't know why that is but it seems to work. I can't watch when they butcher, but supposedly they flap less.

If you can I would take them to that guy again and have him show you exactly how to do it.

The question of the "best" method will have many different answers. Some people prefer cutting the head off all at once, some prefer breaking the neck, some do pithing before cutting the throat, some just cut the throat. All methods result in a fairly fast death. A bird flapping doesn't mean it is still conscious, it often just means that the nerves are still firing. We prefer using a cone and then cutting the throat with a scalpel. It is a very quick method and we don't usually even see any movement until after the bird is unconscious.

I'd like to go back to that guy, but he is about 800 miles away IF he is still doing the job at all. It has been ten to fifteen years, and I don't know if he is around any longer.

I sure do wish I understood how to do it right. It was amazingly simple, quick and resulted in all kinds of positive stuff for everyone.

Where can I purchase a scalpel?

Thanks for the replies.

Just butchered some yesterday and this is how I did it. Mind you this was my first time doing this but it seemed to work very well as they only flapped for a few seconds as they finished bleeding out. I strung a heavy string/small rope over the rim of our basketball hoop (adjusted all the way down) and tied one end around the pole. The other end had a slip type knot that the feet went in. I hung the bird upside down from the loop over a small barrel (30 gallon) with a trash bag in it. I took the head of the bird with my left thumb on the underside of the beak and forefinger behind the head and gently flexed the head back and pulled down. This makes the spot to slice easier to find, just under the jaw. I took a sharp knife (stiff 4" paring/utility knife) and sliced the side of the throat enough to cut the blood vessel, the blood freely ran out. I would then slide the rope up the pole and the bird down into the barrel to bleed out. I think the fact the bird was upside down and the darkness of the barrel (black trash bag) kept the bird calm until the end. It took a couple of minutes for each bird bleed out but it seemed "comfortable" for the bird.

Just butchered some yesterday and this is how I did it. Mind you this was my first time doing this but it seemed to work very well as they only flapped for a few seconds as they finished bleeding out. I strung a heavy string/small rope over the rim of our basketball hoop (adjusted all the way down) and tied one end around the pole. The other end had a slip type knot that the feet went in. I hung the bird upside down from the loop over a small barrel (30 gallon) with a trash bag in it. I took the head of the bird with my left thumb on the underside of the beak and forefinger behind the head and gently flexed the head back and pulled down. This makes the spot to slice easier to find, just under the jaw. I took a sharp knife (stiff 4" paring/utility knife) and sliced the side of the throat enough to cut the blood vessel, the blood freely ran out. I would then slide the rope up the pole and the bird down into the barrel to bleed out. I think the fact the bird was upside down and the darkness of the barrel (black trash bag) kept the bird calm until the end. It took a couple of minutes for each bird bleed out but it seemed "comfortable" for the bird.

Wow, that is a good idea. Seems like a much better method than chopping their heads off.

I have heard of folks using the method you described. It's sometimes called "braining" or "de-braining". Apparently, if you look at the top soft palate of a bird's mouth, there is a 'groove'. That's where the knife goes in - straight up towards the top of the head. If you search on here (at the top of the page is a search box) for either term, a couple articles should come up. Here's one....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73966/dry-plucking-and-de-braining

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/89082/pithing-the-real-story

While we had ours hanging upside down, I couldn't have looked in their beaks if I had wanted to! How do you get their beak open?! We used a 4" filet knife to cut the veins. We also made a kill-cone out of 20" aluminum flashing found at Menards in their roofing section. The cone held the bird firmly so there was not much movement. Yes, each bird had it's "death throes" where all the muscles release - including colon - which was VERY hard to listen to/experience. But realize that all creatures have this same 'reaction' when being killed. Ever slice a worm in the garden? What do the two parts do? Trash about wildly. Death throes.

Once I realized exactly what was happening, and why, it was a touch easier to deal with. Still hard. But part of life.

Good luck. Thank you for NOT participating in the spread of cock fighting. You're doing the right thing by raising these birds and serving them on your table, instead of the ring.

I know cock fighting is sick, but did you know that we wouldn't have Sumatras without it? Sumatras and a few other breeds were bred exclusively for cock fights. The Sumatrans loved their birds some much they were considered godlike and were not eaten, so they were able to reproduce more. So, you know, at least one good thing came out of it.

Last edited:
Our feed store orders boxes of scalpels for us as we use a new one each processing and we process once a week. I imagine you could ask whatever feed store you use and they could get you a box. They aren't expensive (something like $10 for a box of 20), and if you aren't processing often, they will last you a long time.

Back
Top Bottom