Best rare chick assortment

Ac7941

Chirping
Dec 9, 2019
Austin, Texas
Hi,

Which hatcheries provide the best rare chick assortments for pullets only (no roosters and no straight runs)? Please share your experiences and photos! I am considering ordering a rare breed assortment of chicks (pullets) but not sure where to order from.

Thanks!

Hi,

Which hatcheries provide the best rare chick assortments for pullets only (no roosters and no straight runs)? Please share your experiences and photos! I am considering ordering a rare breed assortment of chicks (pullets) but not sure where to order from.

Thanks!
I guess it kind of depends on what you mean by best. Do you mean quality, assortment, or rarity. Meyers has a rare assortment that you can order just females from. I've not ordered from them, but I'd imagine them being hatchery quality. If your not looking to breed them, I would probably start there.

If you want breeder quality, I'd suggest going to a breeder with a large selection of breeds.

I've got both hatchery & breeding quality here and love them all. It just depends on what you'd like them for.

Thanks for your feedback! I’m looking for which hatchery offers best of quality, rarity, and assortment. Not breeder quality at this time, though in the future that may be something I’m interested in. Right now I’m just enjoying my backyard flock. :)

There is no such thing as the best breed or by extension the best assortment.
I equate it to the best song of all time. It doesn't exist. One may like country, jazz, rock, reggae, big band, classical, etc. generes, so one person's best song of all time may be hated by another.
To come to a site like this looking for what may be best for them isn't really good advice because what one person thinks is best - is best for them in their opinion.

One looking for a rare breed assortment needs to understand all the individual breeds' characteristics and determine how each breed in that selection fits their personality and what they desire.

I believe the following breed charts should be perused and make a chart of what characteristics they desire and rate them and then compare to each hatchery's selection.

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

A Barbezieux chicken may be the best fit for one person and a Serama may be the best for someone else. To ask everyone else what is the breed selection for them will only confuse the issue.

To base a selection on what others suggest may be ignoring some of the hundreds of breeds that may be best for them.

I sincerely hope this post isn't taken the wrong way but it is reality. Some people love Pomeranians, some love Border Collies, some love Alaskan Malamutes. I don't think any of those people would be happy with the other breed.

Last edited:
I equate it to the best song of all time. It doesn't exist. One may like country, jazz, rock, reggae, big band, classical, etc. generes, so one person's best song of all time may be hated by another.
To come to a site like this looking for what may be best for them isn't really good advice because what one person thinks is best - is best for them in their opinion.

One looking for a rare breed assortment needs to understand all the individual breeds' characteristics and determine how each breed in that selection fits their personality and what they desire.

I believe the following breed charts should be perused and make a chart of what characteristics they desire and rate them and then compare to each hatchery's selection.

A Barbezieux chicken may be the best fit for one person and a Serama may be the best for someone else. To ask everyone else what is the breed selection for them will only confuse the issue.

To base a selection on what others suggest may be ignoring some of the hundreds of breeds that may be best for them.

I sincerely hope this post isn't taken the wrong way but it is reality. Some people love Pomeranians, some love Border Collies, some love Alaskan Malamutes. I don't think any of those people would be happy with the other breed.
:goodpost:

Very well said.

Took the words right out of my mouth

There assortments will all vary ...

If you ordered say a 15 pack rare assortment, and your neighbor ordered a 15 pack rare assortment for the same day hatch, from same hatchery ... HIGHLY unlikely you would both get the same breeds, or quantities of breeds ...

Then figure in differnce from week to week, what hatches well in March may very well be different than May ... or last year they had good quality eggs, this year one breed is just having trouble filling the orders ... no "left-overs" for the "assortments" ...

Pick a hatchery you like to deal with ... that has the rare breeds you might like to suprise you, and order ... or just make up your mind on what you want, and order only those breeds ...

Back
Top Bottom