Best ratio for Call ducks

mybackyardhobbyfarm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 18, 2014
B.C. Canada
What is the best ratio for call ducks ?

We have 7 call ducks , from several different locations. 2 drakes and 5 ducks
First we got a pair, and then another pair, and then a bonded group of 3 girls . They tend to stick to their own cliques… the two pairs hang out together and the group of three girls have their own clique.

My question is, should I get more drakes, if they are pairing off or will the drakes take more girls under thier wings closer to breeding season?

Call ducks are very different from LF ducks as far as the hen-to-drake ratio goes. I personally wouldn't add more drakes with that number. Though if you did, that drake may pair up with the girl group and live harmoniously. It's really an individual duck thing with Calls.

The only thing that would potentially concern me is spring time hormones. In the spring, the drakes will typically breed anything that will squat.... or that doesn't move fast enough. Sometimes they pick faves. During breeding season if all the drakes pick one or two hens as their fave, you're going to have some issues. Once breeding season is over, everyone will be a big calm group again. I have what I call "horny drake jail". Rowdy boys that aren't being used for breeding go in there until they calm down. (HDJ isn't like a little dog crate. It's a penned off corner of my big duck pen. It's not solitary - it's just their own pod lol)

The choice is yours to make. Just make sure you're prepared to separate if they pick on the girls too much should you decide to get another drake.

Call ducks are very different from LF ducks as far as the hen-to-drake ratio goes. I personally wouldn't add more drakes with that number. Though if you did, that drake may pair up with the girl group and live harmoniously. It's really an individual duck thing with Calls.
I did not know this about Calls! Thank you OM! I will add that to my ever-growing knowledge bank!

The only thing that would potentially concern me is spring time hormones. In the spring, the drakes will typically breed anything that will squat.... or that doesn't move fast enough. Sometimes they pick faves. During breeding season if all the drakes pick one or two hens as their fave, you're going to have some issues. Once breeding season is over, everyone will be a big calm group again. I have what I call "horny drake jail". Rowdy boys that aren't being used for breeding go in there until they calm down. (HDJ isn't like a little dog crate. It's a penned off corner of my big duck pen. It's not solitary - it's just their own pod lol)

The choice is yours to make. Just make sure you're prepared to separate if they pick on the girls too much should you decide to get another drake.
I second this.
While its always best to have a ratio leaning towards 3 hens per drake...sometimes even when hens are a plenty a drake will single out a particular female and run her to the ground. Other times you can have a pair that can live blissfully together with no issue at all. I've also learned that what once was may not always be. Not just with the calls but standard size ducks too. This summer i had to put my cayuga drake in jail for singling out a girl and over breeding her despite having 5 hens to choose from. That has never happened with my cayugas before. I've got no clue what got into him this year.

Back
Top Bottom