Best Rooster Age to eat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Rooster Don, May 7, 2017.

1. Rooster Don

Rooster Don Out Of The Brooder

Just wondering if there is an ideal age to cull roosters, or male chicks, before they get that "tough meat" thing started to eat?

I had to harvest a mean rooster one time, and did the "slice the neck upside down to bleed out, boil for defeathering" and did the whole nine yards. Man that was a lot of work. I am thinking next time about just skinning them. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you.

2. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    I think 14-16 weeks is the limit for fryers but depending on breed you might not get much meat. You can cook them at any age low and slow and still get tender meat. Normally, I make broth out of older birds and give the meat to my dogs. You can't beat the flavor.

I hope you meant scalding for defeathering. I wouldn't want to partially cook them before resting the meat. If you plan on making this a staple, you might want to invest in a chicken plucker. They really make life easy and you can rent them out for a little extra cash.

Depending on how few you have and how you plan to cook them, skinning might be your easiest option, but roasting works better with the skin.

1 person likes this.
  3. tom stohler

tom stohler New Egg

Jun 23, 2014
    I skin all my young roos,, cut in grill pices maranade and on the grill they are delicious

4. BlueShadow

BlueShadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Nebraska
    As far as skinning, I have done birds of various ages. As they age, it gets tougher to get the skin off. Older hens are still okay to skin, but by 9 months, the rooster was HARD to skin, I would have been better scalding and plucking with as long as it took me to skin him.

We butcher our extra cockerels in the fall, so they usually are between 4 and 6 months old. The meat is starting to get a bit tough then, but it isn't too bad.

5. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Makes perfect gumbo or dumplings:)

Nitro187 likes this.
  6. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    I've skinned older chickens easily as long as they're still warm. Cockpot the meat and they make awesome enchilada. Very flavorful

7. jopheso

jopheso Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2015
    we grind the meat. They have excellent flavor just tough, so if you grind them you have amazing chicken burgers/meatballs/meatloaf/etc...

IMO by the time they crow they are too old to fry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by