1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Rooster!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LunarRayne, Jul 28, 2011.

1. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    I traded a breeding pair for a breeding pair with my mother in law. The rooster I got is 3 years old. He is fantastic! He keeps everyone else in check. Today, we heard a noise so my husband rushed out to check. What he found was a huge chicken hawk flying over the property. The 3 year old rooster was warning everyone. I had my 1 week old babies outside! He warned everyone. My husband said they all immediately ran under the bushes and into the coop. The week olds ran into their box and hit the ground. I have 50-60 birds and he protected them all. This was the first time he has had to. I know it is just his part as the dominant rooster, but he has only been here about a month. He does not mate with any hen other than the hen we brought with him. All he really had to do was save her. Instead he called out to everyone.

I love this guy!!
    [​IMG]

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    That really is one awesome looking roo! [​IMG]

3. pwdhorn

pwdhorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Dothan
    Good looking Roo Mine looks a lot like yours named "RUN RUN" I had the flock out for grazing the other day and I startled a stay cat and RUN RUN took off after that cat and chased it across the road. Now we know why the chicked crossed the road. LOL

4. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Gorgeous roo!

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    He us so beautiful and useful too!!!!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Look at the size of his comb! A beauty for sure!

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Good looken and brave too! What a roo! [​IMG]

8. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    Thank you all! I love him!!

We just hatched out some of his babies and we have more due in a week. I am super excited. The first ones go to my mother in law. She decided she wants his babies and would like to give us back our chickens as a trade. The next hatch is mine... I am sharing a few with my cousin, though.

9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    BEAUTIFUL ROOSTER!!!! do you know what kind he is?

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice lookin' dude... looks like he could have a little marans in him... what mix is he?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by