Best/Safest standard fowl to mix with Silkies?

Adenium

Songster
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Connecticut
I'm expecting a batch of 6 silkie chicks in June, but I would like to have a couple standard-size chickens as well. I've heard that many folks do this without problems, particularly if the chicks are raised together. But are there particular breeds of SF that might be more amenable? I love the look of Dominiques, Barred Rocks, gold-laced wyandottes, and RIRs (I know the RIRs can be more aggressive). And the thought of some EE colored eggs or dark brown ones would be nice too.

So, who's standard size but on the "smaller end" of standard....and docile both for our enjoyment and the safety of the Silkies?

Of course my husband wants nothing but Silkies anyway...but I figure I have to arm myself with data.

Last edited:
Well, a very gentle large fowl breed is the Buff Orpington. I think you'll be fine if you just raise them together, though, no matter what breed.

Sharon

As long as the silkies can see, they are as tenacious as any other chicken. I raised 5 silkies with two tom turkies once. LOL. They grew up together and silkies learned to avoid feet and sitting toms. Just keep the crests in check.

As long as the silkies can see, they are as tenacious as any other chicken. I raised 5 silkies with two tom turkies once. LOL. They grew up together and silkies learned to avoid feet and sitting toms. Just keep the crests in check. 

We are planning on trimming (though it'll be interesting to figure out exactly HOW). Don't want to leave the poor fluffers blind.

My Silkies get along great with my Buckeyes, and they weren't even raised together. Both are very gentle, friendly breeds.

Back
Top Bottom