Best set of caponizing tools?

Yes the fat on the birds is fantastic! I processed 2 this week (sorry the pics didn't come out well enough to be of value in a post). I've been "finishing" with cracked corn and raw milk. Tore the skin on a Delaware
hit.gif
hand plucking, so I went ahead and skinned it out. Even after removing the skin and all subcutaneous fat with it, then filleting the carcass there was still enough fat especially around the vent area/ thighs and back that the stock made from remainders was a deep rich yellow and skimmed almost 1 cup of schmaltz off.

Howdy, I am 'in chickens' for egg production. In my last chick order I got 2 oops roos. Since I can't find anyone to caponize them, I am going to try to do it myself. I have been reading this thread, and since I am not real familiar with the tools I am a little confused. I need to get the tools fairly quick. Is the tool kit Murray McMurray sells worth getting, if not, could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

You are for certain a capon won't crow. We have a giant 4 month old Cochin his sister is laying eggs and he will jump on a hen and sort of stand on her, no mating. No crowing either. He acts mostly like a hen, even talks like one. I would have him Caponizer if that mean no crow, and happier life.

Those are beuutiful capons db.  I made comments on tools in another capon post but will repeat some of them here.  I first bought the NASCO kit and I had a hard time with it.  The spreader is really poor and doesn't hold the ribs open well.  The spoon tongs are very clumsy to use and caused slips and a bleed out in my first try.  The only tools in the NASCO kit that work are the scalpel, the hook and the tweezers.   I did ten birds the first batch and that was too many.  I practiced on two dead birds and I recommend that to you too. 

I ended up buying three different antique kits on ebay and finally got some good tools.  Since using the antique tools I have not lost a bird nor have I had any slips. The key tool in my opinion is the wire hoop extractor.  It is a narrow tube with a loop of fine surgical wire on one end.  The ends of the wire are passed through the tube out the other side.  So you have a little noose the size of a penny on one end and the free ends on the other end of the tube, and once you loop the little noose over the testical you pull on the ends of the wire as you lift the testicle out of the incision and twist the connective tissue and cut it clean, removing the testicle.  If it falls into the body cavity you need to retrieve it. 

I now have about 15 capons, my oldest are about 6 months old and they are growing nicely.  They don't crow or fight or do any rooster things.  Mine are crosses of black copper marans and barred rocks, and also some salmon faverolles and barnevelders in the last batch.   

My capons live happily and peacefully with my pullets.  I have not eaten any yet.  The trick is keeping my son from naming them.  I told him they are capons and no other name is allowed.

Wildgeesego, I just had my rooster caponized and I'm wondering do they stop growing their beautiful roosters feathers as I have heard . Mine was done at 6 months hes fairly developed any info you have will. E great on how they turn out.

Has anyone tried caponizing to reduce or eliminate rooster behavior in older roosters? I ask because 1.) many times extra roos are nearly impossible to rehome and 2.) I like having them around 3.) they many times don't give the hens any rest because the roo/hen ratio is not a good balance. What happens if you caponize adult birds?

We are looking to caponize some roos coming up (within a month), and realized we have no kit here now. We need to know what kit to buy, please, or individual tools to look for. Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom