Best sling EVERRRR!!! for broken leg! updated with pic!

RedfogsFlock

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
We have a hen that broke her leg the other day. Have no clue as to how, woke up and there she was limping. So after lookin on here for suggestions I figured out how to make a sling!

I used one of my yorkies shirts! I put it on her, and then used a dog leash, threaded it through the sweater from front to back, and hung her from the top of her kennel! It's late but I will be sure to update tomorrow with some pics! Hopefully her leg will heal now. I tried to set it in a sling but it's broke right up close to the body. My poor baby!!!

47297_img_2771.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure that I understand the hanging her from the top of her cage bit
hu.gif
but pics would clear that up
smile.png
How will she eat and drink? Very interesting concept.

When a horse injures its leg, they sling him in a similar way. Not much mobility, but at least there's food and water nearby and the hen it off its leg. I think its a great idea to immobilize the hen and keep the leg safe from further injury.

How long do you think it will take to heal with her off of it?

Very interesting and creative!!

What does she think? Is she eating and drinking?

I wish I had thought of using a sling as well as a splint.

I found a Welsumer hen with a broken leg at the hock.
I stretched her leg out, splinted it (Q-tips) and then bound it tight but not too tight. She lived in a box, in the house for 5 weeks. Laid a couple of eggs during her sick time, watched TV and became quite demanding.
When I saw her move her toes, I took off the splint and let her rehab in a small area.
She is fine now and is back in the coop with the others. She limps a bit. That is probably because I needed another pair of hands to splint her leg properly. Someone to hold it straight and someone to splint and wrap.
But hey she is alive.

Good luck

Last edited:
She is actually doing surprisingly well! She's eating and drinking, and spills her food & water less. I had her wings inside the shirt but she pulled them out. When she pulled her wings out I had to roll the back of the shirt to expose her rear so she could goto the bathroom. When it's time to sleep she just tucks her head and snoozes. I think she likes it, she can stretch her wings and flaps them occasionally.

We tried splinting the leg, but it's broke really far up right under her thigh joint. We can't for the life of us figure out how to get the splint to stay! Now i've noticed that Blackbart mentioned toes moving? She can't do anything with her foot or her toes. When I pick her up she holds onto my finger with the good foot, and the other just hangs there. Is that a sign of progress I guess toes moving?

This is the first pullet I've actually tried to fix. Our others have either died on their own & we found em, or been old enough & to injured to fix. She is one of our original 5 tho and our sons pullet, so we're giving it a shot.

I hope it works, and thanks everyone! I will keep everyone informed on whether she heals ok or not.

Back
Top Bottom