Best source for self mixed feed nutrition?

angidee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 26, 2010
Washington
I am just learning about mixing your own poultry feed, but discovering there is a LOT too it.
What are the best resources for detailed information about feed nutrition and feed recipes?

Thank you so much!
I am also looking for info on the protien content of items, basic nutrional requirements, and general info to be sure they are getting what they need. Any idea where to go for that?

Last edited:
I find it easiest to do an internet search on individual feed ingredients and their nutritional content, such as "nutritional content of wheat livestock feed". Usually what I'm looking for comes up. Lion's Grip has some good information, I use their site regularly. I've also got livestock nutrition books left over from college, so I consult those a lot--you might check your library to see if they've got anything. Getting the right balance of everything can be tricky, but I find my animals do much better on it (and I save money too) compared to a commercial processed feed.

Hmmm...wonder if I can get my hands on college text books!
It does seem like tricky stuff, but a better option if done correctly.
I am using the Greener Pastures (I think that's the name) recipe right now, but only as a treat. Some of the ingredients are spendy when purchasing from bulk bins at the grocery store.
Hopefully I come up with a successful alternative.

Last edited:
Well, the website listed only reports crude protein. Again, protein is only as good as the limiting amino acid.

Formulating your own feed is much more difficult that most think. First, you have to know what the hen actually needs, not just % protein, but amino acids, and amino acid ratios, essential fatty acids, minerals, and vitamens. Second, you need to know all these variable about all possible feeds you have access to. Next, you have to balance them (generally realted to the ME content of the feed because that will control how much they eat). Next, you need to calculate the percentages. Feed mills tend to use a least-cost linear programming method that uses all the feedstuffs available to them, their nutritional content, and costs to develop the least-cost diet.

If you believe you can do a better job, go for it, but DO NOT expect it to be cheaper....and probably not better. Unless you have a specific customer audience (i.e. no soy, no who cares), you will not make a better, cheaper diet.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom