Best Standard size layers for with silkies?

Emilys3guppies

Songster
Jun 1, 2009
Toronto
I kept chickens for 10 years, but we moved and I couldn't for a couple years. Back into it. I need 6 standard size layers to keep up with my family of 6, but my 9yo son has fallen in love with my aunties silkies and frizzles.

Are there any standard size laying breeds that would do well with silkies? I was considering barred rocks, ameraucana. 2 coops is not an option in my yard but our coop is 4.5x8, and the run 100sq/ft, so lots of space.

Pic of son and frizzle for cuteness.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200526-182637_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200526-182637_Instagram.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 10
I kept chickens for 10 years, but we moved and I couldn't for a couple years. Back into it. I need 6 standard size layers to keep up with my family of 6, but my 9yo son has fallen in love with my aunties silkies and frizzles.

Are there any standard size laying breeds that would do well with silkies? I was considering barred rocks, ameraucana. 2 coops is not an option in my yard but our coop is 4.5x8, and the run 100sq/ft, so lots of space.

Pic of son and frizzle for cuteness.
Screenshot_20200526-215744.png

Here are some , your son is adorable,
I love that at such a young age he can have such a love for animals 👍

I have Silkies and a Brahma, an Orpington, a Welsummer, a Barred Rock, a Cochin and a Sebright. They all get along well. I think it helps that all of my chickens look different. The Silkies don't look as "weird."

Silkies are weird in that, in my experience, they don't much engage in chicken politics. They aren't the bottom of the pecking order at all, either. That honor belongs to the Welsummer!

I would go with a secondary non broody breed if you want eggs Spring throughout summer. The livestock conservancy made this chart. I am only offering this up as my silkies have been non layers since March and are constantly wandering off and making nests, incubating oyster shells, ect.

Attachments

• pickachicken.pdf
    381.7 KB · Views: 6
I would go with a secondary non broody breed if you want eggs Spring throughout summer. The livestock conservancy made this chart. I am only offering this up as my silkies have been non layers since March and are constantly wandering off and making nests, incubating oyster shells, ect.
Wow that's a great selection 👍 .
Really oysters that's hilarious 😂😆

Back
Top Bottom