Best Tabletop bator for the money?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by columbiacritter, May 17, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I want to buy my husband a table top bator for Christmas. I'd like one with either an auto turner or an external hand crank one so we don't have to open the bator. It will be for mid size banties, no more than 20 eggs at a time.

Who has which kind and how do you like them?

Is there one or more brands to stay well away from?

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
  3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I love my hovabator genesis 1588. It is a Styrofoam one, but it does keep the temperature and humidity nicely. It's all a question of how much you will use it. You can paint the inside of the incubator with caulking so it is easier to keep clean. Plus the Styrofoam shell can be replaced for little money, if needed. I've had several hatches so far and it is still clean as new. I take really good care of is.
    Katharina

4. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    I would go with the king suro 20, its the best buy for the money when dealing with small quantities.
    It digital, comes with a humidity pump and a turner. Costs less than equivalent units from other companies.

Or if you don't have as much to spend, the brinsea octagon eco is promising, and you can add a turner later if you can't afford it when you buy the unit.

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    My Hovabator 1588 has been fantastic and well worth the money. [​IMG] It keeps the temperature and humidity very reliable, and is incredibly easy to use.

6. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    If you are not looking for a huge hatch the Brinsea Mini Advanced (turns the eggs) is awesome. Very easy to use - all digital. Have fun!

7. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    king suro 20, all the way. I've gone from 15 to 20% hatches to 80 to 100% hatches just by switching from a Hovabator and LG to the King Suro. I highly recommend it. Super easy to use, super easy to clean. Set it and forget it!

8. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Hovabator is my vote.

9. lillypug

lillypug Fleur De Lis Farm

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    After one horrible hatch with an LG still air, I invested in 2 Hovabator Genesis bators. That was the best thing I've ever done. I love my 2 Genesis bators [​IMG]

10. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I am doing the same thing as the op. So if I may add to the ops question. In addition to which is best, could you say how much it goes for and where you purchased yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by