Best thing I ever did!

MandalaMaMa

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
southern Oregon coast
About a month ago I had the chance to go visit our son and his family for a week. This meant that my husband was on chick patrol for the first time. The first day he confessed that after cleaning the coop he forgot to open the hen door. Later in the afternoon he said there was so much squawking going on that he went out to investigate. He found 4 eggs scattered throughout the run and thought what the heck. Then he realized what he had done. He felt so bad.
But I have to say since I left he has surprised me and comes down every morning and helps me let the girls out, feed them and clean the coop. What an amazing guy. I should have left years ago. We've had chickens for 3 yrs. The other thing that happen was my husband it a person that looks at things and analyzes them and tries to come up with a better solution. He's great at fixing the little things.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had something intersting happen in regards to having chickens or a fun story to share.

My hubby does not help me with the chickens, but he knows they are important to me. Recently he built me a new huge run. I had bought an old shed on a wagon bed as a coop, but I couldn't walk in it, and it did not work well. However the run was built around it. I had a new coop built that I used. Weeks ago, predators got in, and hid in that old shed, the loss was terrible over a couple of days. Yesterday, he and my son tore it down, and hauled it out piece by piece.

He does not love my chickens, but he does love me. He knows they are important to me.

Mrs K

My hubby does not help me with the chickens, but he knows they are important to me. Recently he built me a new huge run. I had bought an old shed on a wagon bed as a coop, but I couldn't walk in it, and it did not work well. However the run was built around it. I had a new coop built that I used. Weeks ago, predators got in, and hid in that old shed, the loss was terrible over a couple of days. Yesterday, he and my son tore it down, and hauled it out piece by piece.

He does not love my chickens, but he does love me. He knows they are important to me. 

Mrs K

I am so sorry to hear about this. I bet it was devastating to see this. So are you having to start over with new chicks? I'm so grateful to hear that your husband and son tore it down and got rid of it.
I understand about the love of a husband because I have one too. My husband wasn't too sure about chickens at first but somehow they have won over his heart.

Well....

About 9 years ago I designed and had my son build our current coop.

My future ex wife has not set foot in the backyard since.

The coop is now my sanctuary
celebrate.gif

My Husband was not on the band wagon for Chickens at all....He asked me''Chickens"????????? ''REALLY"????....Hence my name on BYC....I ordered 15 Chicks a few years back, that were hatched my Anniversary of April first...Picked them up on April 2nd my Birthday.....Was exciting and so much fun...Had the brooder set up and everything went great...Till the coop outside was not finished...I had 15 Chicks at 6 weeks old still living in my house at night in their brooder....Dust, stink....You all know....Chickens stink.....
Got the Coop finished and the girls were to spend the first night out in the coop...Set up the heat lamp and their playpen so they were a bit confined...THEY CRIED FOR AN HOUR!....My Husband, the man he is, went out and sat with them and sang the Chicken song he used to sing to them as little Chicks and they all fell asleep...I could not go in the coop or they would of really cried....

My Husband deep down loves all my Birds!
What came first the Chicken or the egg??? My husbands answer is the COOP!

Chickens Really....

Last edited:
My Husband was not on the band wagon for Chickens at all....He asked me''Chickens"????????? ''REALLY"????....Hence my name on BYC....I ordered 15 Chicks a few years back, that were hatched my Anniversary of April first...Picked them up on April 2nd my Birthday.....Was exciting and so much fun...Had the brooder set up and everything went great...Till the coop outside was not finished...I had 15 Chicks at 6 weeks old still living in my house at night in their brooder....Dust, stink....You all know....Chickens stink.....
Got the Coop finished and the girls were to spend the first night out in the coop...Set up the heat lamp and their playpen so they were a bit confined...THEY CRIED FOR AN HOUR!....My Husband, the man he is, went out and sat with them and sang the Chicken song he used to sing to them as little Chicks and they all fell asleep...I could not go in the coop or they would of really cried....

My Husband deep down loves all my Birds!
What came first the Chicken or the egg??? My husbands answer is the COOP!

Chickens Really....

That is the sweetest story I have heard in awhile! He is definately a keeper!

Back
Top Bottom