Best time to order

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rypie13, Jan 7, 2009.

1. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    I did a search and read a bunch, but didn't find my question answered - so sorry if it is a beat to death question!
    We live in Utah and it is cold right now. we want to order meaties again (I promised my hubby and I had time to get over the last time) When is a good time to order so that they can be out of the brooder and outside (even if they need a lamp) as soon as they are old enough. Timing is important here, I cannot have those stinky things in my house or garage. Hubby is working on a sort of "apartment" for them to live in that will be raised up above the ground -just not too far, and we won't lose the space underneath for lazing about. I know they won't probably climb up anything after a point, but we can lock them up for the night and keep them warm and safe. Anyway, when do you all order? When are they available?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

We have LONG, cold winters here & cold, long springs....last year, we had SNOW in JUNE! I usually order my birds Jan-Feb for end of June or first part of July delivery...but that is because they go directly outside upon arrival.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Does it get hot where you live? If so, when does it start to cool down?

4. rypie13

Jun 6, 2008
    Of course it depends on the year, but last year winter lasted forever and then it was summer. Usually we have a nice April, but sometimes it snows. I would like to be able to keep them in a small brooder box for a couple of weeks, and then put them out in the "apartment" Our last batch we ordered in late August and butchered in mid October (8 weeks) Temps were super hot and chickens were super stinky!

5. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Quote:Well they are going to be stinky no matter what time of year, but the heat is the key. you can look at it two ways. Either get them early spring and keep them under lamps to stay warm until they feather out and then send them outside if they can handle the cool nights and butcher late spring early summer OR order them just a little later in the summer and you won't have to worry about the temp as much to keep them warm when they are peeps and they will be fine when you butcher them in late October. Being in Pennsylvania, I get mine in may, it works for me.

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Get them early enough that they won't have to deal with hot days. A good balance (depending on your climate,) would be to order them for a time that you can keep them indoors (garage) for the first three weeks, then transfer them outside just as it's getting warm enough to do so. You can even cheat a little and put them outside with a heat lamp. The Cornish X's can handle the cold pretty well, but like to die when it gets hot.

7. rypie13

Jun 6, 2008
    Thank you for the replies, If I could just figure out the weather. My fear is having to keep them inside past the point of cuteness, then they just reek. If it is still pretty chilly at night, but they have a light, ventillation, and isulation, but otherwise closed up, do you think they would be allright?

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I had mine in the basement for the first two weeks which was a few days too long (stinky). I think the ideal timing would be like someone else wrote before. Get them when it is warm enough to start them outside, but late enough in the summer that it will be getting cooler for them as they mature for harvest. I don't know your weather by month, so the date timing you will need to establish.

Wanted to add this. They only stay cute for less than a week IMHO. After that, when I look at them, I saw chicken nuggets.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mine did fine in Michigan November. It got COLD. After about three weeks and they're pretty much feathered out, they can handle cold pretty well. I just left the heat lamp on all the time. Some stayed under it all the time, some wandered around, but they all huddled under the light at night and did fine. My coop isn't even enclosed, other than a covered portion on one end.

10. rypie13

Jun 6, 2008
    Our other ones fethered out pretty quick with just a few bald spots, so if we have heat and dry ground I guess they will be o.k. We are just trying to figure out a good rotation for them. We want to do 25 twice a year (Due to freezer space.) It sure is a great feeling looking in that freezer, even if I am down to 8 right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by