Best time to start with chickens?

sansert

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
Im looking at building a backyard coop and starting with some chickens. Is there an ideal time to start with the chicks? I am in Ky so it gets somewhat cold here. Suggestions. Thanks!

You can raise chickens any time of the year. In fact, I will be doing some more incubating soon! But, ideally spring is the best. That way it is pretty warm outside by the time they are ready to go out, and you can get them out quicker then. Or summer works too, they will still have a good bit of time to feather out well before winter.

howdy do, im in Georgetown. I prefer this time of year to start with chicks. Fully feathered by winter and laying in the spring. I hatch all year around and just had some fuzzy butts today. You just need to watch your temps when they are young.

2011-09-08_17-15-09_28.jpg

NOW would be good! If you get peeps, you have to keep them indoors in a brooder for a while anyway - that gives you time to build the coop! Then as a previous poster said, you'd have eggs by spring. Have fun - we do!
big_smile.png

I love September chicks. I brood out in the barn. It's still plenty warm enough to brood them outside, if you wish. Yes, feathered out nice by Thanksgiving and virtual adults by Christmas. Not a problem with winter in any way. Do it now, though, would be my guidance. I wouldn't wait until November to get chicks.

I think now would be a good time, but probably no later than October.
smile.png
As other pointed out, you'd need to keep them confined in a brooder. Plus, most tend to keep their babies on heat and what better time than when it's getting chilly out? They won't get overheated at all then if that's your plan. And by spring you'll have eggs - glorious, beautiful, edible eggs.

Quote:
On the flip side, if you do get chicks now, BUILD FAST! they grow way too fast LOL after 4 weeks they had outgrown their brooder and hubby's patience for the constant noise LOL (fortunately I finished the coop about the same time, and it was warm enough for them to go out overnight)

Hi Bairleafarm,

Im in Louisville. Thanks for your reply to my post about the best time to start with chickens. I think we are limited to 5 hens and 1 rooster here since its pretty much the city limits and our lot is just under 1/2 acre. Do you sell chicks? If so maybe we can ride up and get a few from you. What breed do you recommend as far as being good egg layers and being kind of cool looking as well? Anyone else feel free to comment as well. Thx

Quote:
Well, I spent a year in B.C. (Before Computers) reading and studying and convincing the wife, we needed chickens. I then spent a summer of weekends building the foundation and coop and planting the trees in the future run. Ordered the chicks for the following spring and finished the fencing on the run by the time they were feathered out enough to need the run. See my BYC page for pics of my set-up of a simple efficient process that has been in use a couple decades now.
The time to start is NOW, even if it's just research. More then half of my coop is from salvaged material found during my "thinking" stage.

Back
Top Bottom