Best treatment for Gapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemychix, Sep 18, 2009.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I have been researching why my chickens have been doing the head shaking and that open mouth thing and I have concluded that after a summer for indulging in earthworms a few of my birds have gapeworm. I don't see any signs of respitory infections. No eye or nasal discharge. I haven't lost a bird. My birds are mostly hatchery stock just used for eggs so I haven't brought in any started birds.
    What is the best treatment or wormer to use for this?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    First, you really should confirm if that's what you've definitely got going on. My avian vet instructed me to do this to find out when I was worried about this: While holding the chicken in your lap, gently open their mouth. I put a finger in between the top & bottom beaks to keep it open. Then, take a Q-tip and gently push it down the throat, while twirling. Keep twirling while you gently bring it back out. IF you have gapeworms, you will see them (thin and red) on the Q-tip.

The very best wormer is Ivermectin Eprinex (do a search on here...you'll find lots of posts about it). Good luck!!!

3. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Thanks. I will do that.

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If they do have gapes and you treat - you will need to treat them all, and withhold eating eggs for a minimum of 2 weeks. I usually withhold for 3-4, just to be sure. Good luck!

5. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    well. I saw small specks of red. I only did one hen the one that was showing the most symptoms. She's also had bumblefoot this week. I'm telling you I have been through the ringer with this one. She's been with the flock since the beginning. She's my roos favorite girl and now he is kept in his own pen so she can rest. He has 30 + hens and insist on breeding her constantly. She is protected with saddle and wing protector but I know it can't be fun for her.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hmmm...I'm unsure what to think about "small specks of red" - doens't sound like worms, but maybe (?) I don't think it would hurt to worm them if they've not been wormed for awhile.

Regarding the bumblefoot, if you haven't treated her yet, BYC member Ruth posted an EXCELLENT thread with pics & good info. on how to treat.

I'm so sorry you're having a time of it! Sometimes, it seems like nothing but issues...but chooks are so worth it! You hang in there, okay? [​IMG]

7. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Oh I will. I will always have chickens as long as I can take care of them. I'm in my mid 30's and I have always loved them and just got them a few years ago. I worry myself to death about them. Maybe too much. [​IMG] Maybe she's ok. I've never noticed her doing this until today and I noticed a couple other doing the yawn thing in the past few days. Like I said no drainage from eyes or nose. It's just about 3 out of the 40+ I have. Do chickens just do funny things like that? I noticed this a few months ago and I did worm them with Rooster Booster natural pellets just for precaution.
    I did search the bumblefoot and saw hers and posted a few with her. Nice lady. Helped me a bunch.
    I so much appreciate your help. You are doing a great job as a Mod. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe...thanks so much! BEST of luck with your girls!
    (p.s. - I grew up in Iowa! In a tiny town called Hudson, near Waterloo/Cedar Falls, and then moved to Keokuk.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by