best treatment for prolapsed vent in quail?

IceHax

Songster
Oct 10, 2018
northern Italy
Hello everyone, today while i was collecting my eggs for the day i noticed a female had some poop balls stuck to her feet. no problem, i thought, ill just bring her inside for a few minutes and clean her feet. So i did that, but as i went to get her back in the aviary, i noticed she had a prolapsed vent. i took her back inside and inspected her further. I could not feel an egg that she could have been struggling to get out. I pushed everything back inside with a Q-tip and put her back with the others. She has no problem drinking/eating/walking, but the vent keeps on coming back out. i left her there for the night to see if tomorrow itll be any different, but what should i do to treat it? This bird has been laying eggs daily for me for about 3-4 months now.

She may have a broken egg inside her and that's causing her to strain to try to expel the remains. Just this past month I had a chicken with the same problem. There was evidence in her case that a soft egg had ruptured inside her, so I gave her some calcium supplement to begin with.

I also started her on penicillin since bacterial infection in the broken yolk is a foregone conclusion. Then I tackled her prolapse, which also had a pecking injury and was bleeding.

I bathed her in warm Epsom salts. Then I dried her off and sprayed Vetericyn on the entire vent area and prolapse. After than I wet a cloth with witch hazel and held it to the prolapse. It's an astringent. Then I used cortisone cream on the tissue and gently pushed it back inside.

I kept her in a crate indoors at night so she wouldn't get pecked again before her prolapse began to stay in. I let her stay outside in the run during the day where she could see the others, but she was in a protective pen. Several times a day I would wet a cloth with witch hazel and hold it to her prolapse for a minute, then smeared cortisone cream on it one time and the next time I alternated with Preparation H. and pushed the prolapse back in.

Patience is necessary when treating a prolapse until it finally decides to remain inside. I continued the calcium supplement all this time as it's important in getting the egg remains out. It took my hen six days to pass the remainder of her ruptured egg and then the prolapse stayed in after that. I didn't let her back in with the others until I was absolutely certain it would remain in where it belonged.

She may have a broken egg inside her and that's causing her to strain to try to expel the remains. Just this past month I had a chicken with the same problem. There was evidence in her case that a soft egg had ruptured inside her, so I gave her some calcium supplement to begin with.

I also started her on penicillin since bacterial infection in the broken yolk is a foregone conclusion. Then I tackled her prolapse, which also had a pecking injury and was bleeding.

I bathed her in warm Epsom salts. Then I dried her off and sprayed Vetericyn on the entire vent area and prolapse. After than I wet a cloth with witch hazel and held it to the prolapse. It's an astringent. Then I used cortisone cream on the tissue and gently pushed it back inside.

I kept her in a crate indoors at night so she wouldn't get pecked again before her prolapse began to stay in. I let her stay outside in the run during the day where she could see the others, but she was in a protective pen. Several times a day I would wet a cloth with witch hazel and hold it to her prolapse for a minute, then smeared cortisone cream on it one time and the next time I alternated with Preparation H. and pushed the prolapse back in.

Patience is necessary when treating a prolapse until it finally decides to remain inside. I continued the calcium supplement all this time as it's important in getting the egg remains out. It took my hen six days to pass the remainder of her ruptured egg and then the prolapse stayed in after that. I didn't let her back in with the others until I was absolutely certain it would remain in where it belonged.
I have checked, there is no yolk inside her, all that comes out is poop, in fact, she doesn't push until she needs to poop, in fact I have pushed everything inside after She managed to poop and she didn't push it out until 20 minutes later

What does the poop look like? Is it tiny and hard? Constipation could be another reason for prolapse. Oil given orally is a remedy for that.

I recommend you follow the basic treatment for prolapse as long as you're reasonably certain there's no broken egg. I'd give calcium, though, on the chance an egg is stuck farther in where you can't detect it.

What does the poop look like? Is it tiny and hard? Constipation could be another reason for prolapse. Oil given orally is a remedy for that.

I recommend you follow the basic treatment for prolapse as long as you're reasonably certain there's no broken egg. I'd give calcium, though, on the chance an egg is stuck farther in where you can't detect it.
Poop looks normal, and she doesn't really mind it, she does everything as if she had nothing, and she laid an egg today on her own.

Back
Top Bottom