Best Types of Incubators

HetaChick

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
California
There are many different incubators out there, and I've seen lots of different information all over. Some conflicting, others not, but scattered.
So I thought, why not start a new post on incubators? Lots of people seem to be hatching in the off season (including me) and I have recently become more interested in the different types of incubators after realizing just how different they are. Price and neat designs obviously are not everything..

And here it goes~! Things to mention would be:

Name of incubator, your personal hatching experiences, temperature/humidity control, ease of use, price, other good qualities and the drawbacks.

It would be nice to try and consolidate this information for folks new to hatching, as I remember the difficulties I had years ago with my first incubator.

Thanks for your contribution everyone!

Hovabator Genesis 1588 with automatic egg turner. No need to adjust, all automatic with a fan.
I use the dry hatch method of incubation until the 18th day and then raise the humidity to 65-70% to keep from shrinkrapping as they hatch. The only drawback i see is the fact that it is styrofoam instead of wood. Mine cleans up easy with a mild bleach solution in the bathtub after a hatch. No worries mate, it works! Cost about $160 with the auto turner.

There are at least 20 or 30 identical threads like this, but yeah, i know, this is YOURS.

So... what I've used.

Miss Prissy turned me on to a Hovabator, Genesis 1588, over three years ago. Pretty much plug and play, but the humidity control can be difficult. Temp is usually right on. Many folks incubate in one bator and then transfer their eggs to a 1588 for the last three days to hathc.

2nd Bator I got was a Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance EX.

First 3 hatches were WONDERFUL. Lots of chicks, Everything was preset and no worries about humidity. But the fourth hatch was dismal as the thermostat stopped getting up to temp. I then got a Brinsea spot check (that only worked for one year, so I got another) and then I regulated the temp to match the spot check temp. Better hatches
BUT, certainly NOT worth the amount of $ I paid for it.

If I ever get another bator it will be a GQF Sportsman 1502 with all the bells and whistles. It will end up costing me close to a grand but in the end, I'm certain it will be worth it. Someday.

If I had limitless funds, I'd probably also buy a R-Com for smaller hatches... unlike NYD and Easter.

Quote:
Oh no I know, but for people who don't want to dig around ^^ I'm just trying to be useful if I can be, sorry if it's repetitive, I noted a lot of people asking so I thought instead of asking I'd do this. It won't be long before this is buried too, still… I don't know. Sorry for repetition, and thanks for your information.~

The best kind of incubator is one that does everything you want at a price you can afford. I use 2 GQF cabinet incubators an 1 GQF hatcher. The humidity is controlled by plastic bowls that I received with them. I use 3 of the bowls in the hatcher that keeps my humidity right at 60-65% through the last 3 days of lockdown and hatch. I use one bowl in the bator and it keeps my humidity at 35-40% in the first 18 days. I set the temp on them and I never really changes. They truly have the set and forget ease of use. I purchased them used, $700 for all 3. Here's a pic of one bator and the hatcher. I've hatched out tons of chicks in these! My hatch rates run 90-100% on my eggs. On shipped eggs I don't get as good of results but I've only tried them a twice with these bators.
48894_img_20110514_163439.jpg

Back
Top Bottom