1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best video on how to cut up a chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PatS, Nov 14, 2010.

1. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I love YouTube, it has taught me many things. My question is, do you have any recommendations for a vid on how to cut up a chicken into parts. The few I have seen go way too fast for me. I guess I need a more "basic" lesson!
    Thanks!

2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    it isn't video, but there is a great step by step pictorial in the "meat bird notables" sticky thread. There are graphic pics though, so go in with your "meat bird" eyes on [​IMG]

3. wenlo

wenlo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    There is an episode of "Good Eats" with Alton Brown that does an excellent job - but with an all ready dressed supermarket bird.

4. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:That's where I learned. I love that show.

5. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Survival Skills with Russ is the best video we found the first time we processed our own. Clear explainations. Not to fast. The first time we did this, we kept running in to watch the video, paused til we got a step done, then watched the next step.

Part one is the butchering:

Part two is his wife cutting it up:

6. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    ty for both of those informative youtube posts.... that will help us out a lot in the next few weeks!

7. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:My daughter was laughing at the second video. The "pulley bone". I've never heard a wish bone called that before.

8. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:You're welcome! [​IMG]

My daughter was laughing at the second video. The "pulley bone". I've never heard a wish bone called that before.

[​IMG] I didn't even catch that, I guess I was too focused on getting the job done.​

9. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:You're welcome! [​IMG]

My daughter was laughing at the second video. The "pulley bone". I've never heard a wish bone called that before.

[​IMG] I didn't even catch that, I guess I was too focused on getting the job done.​

I had to rewind it to make sure I heard it right.

10. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

interesting, a question about how to cut into pieces properly. I would never have a problem with that, it's the killing I'm trying to talk myself into [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by