Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Pics

Elwood Lightfoot

Wears A Cool Thinking Hat
9 Years
I already had two of these very common minnow traps at home but I stumbled on to one at walmart that was cheap and thought "I bet that would work!"
I set it along the wall inside of my coop and 2 days later had a rat snake in it, A couple days later a copperhead and then another, so I dug around till I found the two old traps and set them inside also and today I had two more copperheads, I knew I had snakes but didn't know it was this bad and am really loving the effectiveness of the Minnow/Snake traps, I figured if anyone else hadn't already thought this one up I'd share it and maybe it can help others save a few birds and eggs, Happy hunting and thanks for looking, Bill

48473_snaketrap2_009.jpg
48473_snaketrap2_004.jpg
48473_snaketrap2_003.jpg
48473_snaketrap_066.jpg
48473_snaketrap_061.jpg
48473_snaketrap_057.jpg
48473_snaketrap_014.jpg
48473_snaketrap_001.jpg
48473_snaketrap_006.jpg
48473_snaketrap2_011.jpg

I have a set of tongs for handling snakes and use those to put them into a good sized jug that I keep just for the poisonous snakes in my freezer, it's humane, they get cold, go dormant and die in thier sleep, I relocate the non poisonous ones far enough away they can't find thier way back to my coop. I would think any number of ways to dispatch them would be okay, A tank water and a few minutes submerged would make the trap safe to open and dispose of the poisonous ones,

I wouldn't risk getting bit no matter how you do it they really aren't deadly but will make you really sick and have to pay an emergency room visit at the very least. I have copperheads and pigmy rattlers here and have made a couple nice hat bands from them LOL

Most of the non-poisonous snakes I leave alone to do thier jobs but the ones that enter my coops for chicks and eggs have to go live elsewhere.

I have to say, I am impressed with the effectiveness of your trap idea. It gives me great ideas for the copperhead study that I am currently working on. These are terribly misunderstood and awesome creatures!
The fact you are catching them in your coop is kind of bothersome. If they can't get in...they're not a problem. Collect your eggs daily and your chickens should be safely roosted above them (copperheads). Though it is unlikely that the copperheads would even target grown chickens. Very small chicks would be my only concern with them.

This trap is an ingenious tool to relocate them short distances from the property to areas where they're less likely to be a problem.
My study area so far has produced zero copperheads! It seems that every local that I talk to in the area, has killed every snake they see. It is kind of disheartening really. This is why I have been a bit more proactive with the snakes lately. You would not believe the rodent populations in this area either, definitely a direct correlation there!
I have plenty of snakes around my home, no snake problems, though I do anticipate a rare problem, it has not happened...ever!
As for the raccoons and foxes...they have really been a problem. I have no qualms about eliminating them when necessary!
Sorry if I offend anyone with these posts, I'm just trying to spread some facts around. We're all capable of learning and changing ways of thinking...I did!

Mahonri. Wow is right I have been lucky
I have not seen a snake around here.
but I do leave a golf ball in each coop if its gone
I know there is one dead snake some where.
so far so good.
Snakes can not digest it.
Neighbor
told me about that death trap.

The minnow catcher is a very great idea. Are you sure the snakes can't make it back out the hole.

Someone is doing a study on copperhead and was wondering what good are they that the harmless can't
already take care of? Who needs bit? I do leave the harmless ones alone.

Why the need for a shot gun or a 38 with pellets as they can be expensive?? Why not get 22 bird shot at
WalMart and you can use it in pistols or rifles. Very inexpensive and it has killed every copperhead I've
encountered and that can be 7 per year.

I will remember the Wasp/ant spray as well.

For the Squirrels
Go to Home Depot/ Lowes and get a small bucket of "Plaster of Paris". What you do is mix half peanut butter
and the plaster of paris. Make small balls of this and put it out for the squirrels. Have water so after they eat
they can drink. Plaster hardens and they can not digest it. (mine liked the crunchy peanut better best)

Bare in mind those rodents are like flies. You may kill them but in days there will be replacements. lol

It may sound inhumane to do this but I had 2 peach trees loaded and a pear tree. They ate ALL the fruit before it
ripened and I got NONE.

Last edited:
I live alone (go figure LOL) Anyone who knows me and comes to visit already knows there is no telling what might be chilling in my freezer LOL Actually I have chest freezer in the house for food stuffs, I have an up right freezer in the shop that when the weather gets hot I fill with bottles of water to put in the animals waterers to help them through the heat, when they've thawed I just put them back on for the next day

Back
Top Bottom