Best way to butcher?

gg706

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
I would like opinions on the best way to butcher....I am considering the throat slit and bleeding them out, or just cutting the head off. Is one more humane than the other?

I do and have done both. I would say chopping is slightly more humane, but consider both to be humane if done right. I would say it takes just a few more seconds for the bird to die by slitting, but they seem to be very comfortable by that point.

Chopping is much messier and potentially more traumatic for the humans involved.

I will add that anything you do is going to better than what they go through in a factory farm slaughter house.

Last edited:
I do and have done both. I would say chopping is slightly more humane, but consider both to be humane if done right. I would say it takes just a few more seconds for the bird to die by slitting, but they seem to be very comfortable by that point.

Chopping is much messier and potentially more traumatic for the humans involved.

I will add that anything you do is going to better than what they go through in a factory farm slaughter house.

x2

Except for I think slitting is the more humane. However, both are humane and with no real proof anyway, either are valid points of view.

We slit their throats. Haven't tried the chopping.... I'm too scared I'll miss or something, and I'm not sure how to hold the chicken's head anyway with a hatchet, plus, no matter how much I trust my husband, I don't like a hatchet coming down between my hands! Ha! Slitting their throats isn't bad. None of it is pleasant, mind you.

In my opinion, I think chopping is faster for the bird but more traumatic for humans. Plus the involuntary struggling movements after death are not pretty to watch. I don't know if this happens with slitting.

The involuntary movement after death happens either way. Yes, it's not fun to watch. So I don't. I use kill cones and turn my back when they begin that. Yeah, I'm a wimp but I still get 'er done.

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate the info. I am nervous about carrying this out...but I want healthy food for my family. Buster 52 you bring up a good point! I am sure the birds raised for the factory are not treated well and then the butchering process thru the factory is horrible! That point adds more fuel to the fire to find it in myself to do this!

How long do you actually think it takes for them to die....not really till the movement stops but the actual end of the experience for the bird.

When bleeding to death, people never really experience it at all, they pass out first. There is some evidence that people are aware some 15-30 seconds after beheading. So if chickens are like people, there's your answer. If they aren't, then no one knows but most will say "instantly!."

Back
Top Bottom