Best way to clean styrofoam incubator?

I soak the crud off the mesh and spot clean the styrofoam. If it has a water tray I wash it with dish washing soap, rinse, and then wipe everything down with bleach water.
love.gif
: Angelique

Wont the styrofoam absorb the bleach? It isnt very dirty, but I like things to be sparkling clean (so to speak) I was afraid to use any bleach because with the humidity in there, it might cause fumes from the bleach it absorbs?

I scrub mine with a brush and bleach after every hatch..I could care less about looks only hatches
big_smile.png
then when weather permits I sun it for several hours..100 degree sun baking will kill about anything.When I turn it back on I crack the lid for a bit and let the smell which is very minimal out and also some of the excess humidity from the water it may have absorbed...but no the bleach won't hurt the eggs.I get near 100% hatch rates on every bunch.Make sure you clean the lid as well..it can hide nasty no see-ums that will make for some bad hatch rates-don't forget under the fan!

I was amazed at how well the sun bleached ours after the mess it was in. We did leave it outside for a few days. We only plan on using it a few times a year so hopefully it will last!

I put the bottom part along with the screen in a tub with hot soapy water and scrub it down, rince it real good with hot water and set outside to dry..the top I have not done...and after reading this feel like going back to it,,,but I too have it full of eggs now.

I've had my second one outside now for a couple week's just the bottom part.I had a cracked egg in mine that had broken.I Was dreading cleaning it but suprisingly most of it came out with a soaking of mild bleach water and dawn dish liquid.I have had this one a good while and Was using it in inc. stage until that broken egg.It's been getting rained on for a bit and I will be bringing it in ont the 18th I have a couple newbie fertile egg's and got lot's more incubating in the newer one.I use a plastic scrub brush on the wire part to get it clean and rinse good.Will wipe down the top too before getting it back together.

A mix of hydrogen peroxide with baking soda and a dab of dish washing liquid will work well. I've also found Oxyclean to work nicely. You can also paint the inside with bathroom caulking.
Katharina

Back
Top Bottom