Best way to cover run to protect from hawks?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bubba1, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Bubba1

Bubba1 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    I am in the middle of building my run (15 x 40) and am wondering what people think is the best way to cover it up to protect from hawks (our neighbor lost a few to red-tailed hawks before covering up with aviary netting). It seems that poultry fencing or netting could work, but could that collapse under the weight of snow? I don't want to break the bank either, but want to protect the chickens.

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

if the holes in your netting are big enough,, 2 inch's , then you shouldnt have any problems with snow,, some put up 2 long poles at each end, and run a rope between them, and then in the middle of that rope, you hang another rope down to your netting ( is best to use like a piece of wood under the netting, and tie the "hanging" rope to that) then you can pull on the "pole" rope and higher or lower the netting,, i keep mine like a peak of a roof,,or like a pyramid,, in case you get that "wet" snow.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Another solution, if you don't want to or can't put netting/wire across the entire top is to hang old CD's every few feet. It seems to mess with a hawks ability to feel safe swooping down into the coop.

I personally haven't done this but have heard this from others on here.

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I used posts with 2 X 4s between them making a frame and then put chickenwire on it.

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Quote:I have cd's hung from mine and it seems to work well. When the sunlight hits them it produces a prism effect which I have been told scares away hawks. It's really pretty at night when they turn in the wind and the moon gets reflected off of them.

6. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    What an innovative, cool idea!

Have you ever had any problems with racoons climbing up and over the sides of the run? We did, until we covered the top. I love the CD's idea, though, and what a way to recycle. [​IMG]

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello,First time I covered it with tarp,but the best way was the seconed time when I put steel sheets on top[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Omran, that is a sweet setup! Your chix can scratch around in the pouring rain. It's good to be a handy-chickenperson (or, at least, I IMAGINE it would be good, LOL). [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I would suggest a metal or slanted shingle-covered roof. Here in Michigan, those designs work great in the winter. [​IMG]

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I use a tin roof. It helps not only with prediators but, snow and rain. The run has been a lot dryer since we switched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by