1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best way to cull a chick???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by C&Rman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I have 2 chicks that I dont think will make it. One looks like it is in serious pain. It is still shaped like it is in the shell. It's neck is bent back and when it walks it slams into the sides. Then the other one I had to help cuz it had been pipped for a few days... I opened it and pulled it out. But it is pretty weak. What is the best way to cull a chick?

2. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    if i need to cull a chick i usually use very sharp scissors and cut the head off but only if i truely have to i dont like culling chicks

3. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    x2 for good sharp poultry shears (like for cutting meat) or heavy-duty scissors. honestly though, the weak one stands a chance - especially if it was struggling for a while to hatch, it may be just resting up after a long ordeal. i'd personally give that one a day or two to see if it comes around. the one in pain though, just do your best to make it fast. good luck.

4. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    Or if you want a clean way, you could use baking soda and vinegar.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Do your birds have wry neck? I made the mistake of culling a few of my newly hatched birds. Soon learned to isolate them from the mob & gave them chick starter & added braggs ACV to their water. About 4 days of this then added them back to the mob & all was well.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2. It's a quick, sure way. I'm not to keen on gassing seeing as it's harder to tell if it's really "Dead" [​IMG]

7. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:I've never heard of the method of culling. How does it work?

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    1. scissors or
    2. just pull their head off or
    3. put them in the freezer in a closed tupperware with some wood shavings and go for a walk.

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:+1... never fails to do the deed as painlessly as possible...

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

take a sharp knife and just stab it in the head, it wont hurt they will die instantly. In the back of the skull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by