Best way to cull a chick???

C&Rman

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Nevada
I have 2 chicks that I dont think will make it. One looks like it is in serious pain. It is still shaped like it is in the shell. It's neck is bent back and when it walks it slams into the sides. Then the other one I had to help cuz it had been pipped for a few days... I opened it and pulled it out. But it is pretty weak. What is the best way to cull a chick?

x2 for good sharp poultry shears (like for cutting meat) or heavy-duty scissors. honestly though, the weak one stands a chance - especially if it was struggling for a while to hatch, it may be just resting up after a long ordeal. i'd personally give that one a day or two to see if it comes around. the one in pain though, just do your best to make it fast. good luck.

Do your birds have wry neck? I made the mistake of culling a few of my newly hatched birds. Soon learned to isolate them from the mob & gave them chick starter & added braggs ACV to their water. About 4 days of this then added them back to the mob & all was well.

Quote:
X2. It's a quick, sure way. I'm not to keen on gassing seeing as it's harder to tell if it's really "Dead"
hmm.png

1. scissors or
2. just pull their head off or
3. put them in the freezer in a closed tupperware with some wood shavings and go for a walk.

Back
Top Bottom