best way to "end" a little chick

My method. Makes them pass out and then stop breathing.

You buy "starter" fluid from an auto parts store (or Amazon, like this one.... http://a.co/1MTpAzv ). It is used for spraying into engines/carburetors to "start" them if they are old. It is NOT the stuff you use to start fires or BBQ grills. The stuff you want has a high percentage of "ether", the stuff they used to knock people out for surgery in the 1800's. You put a paper towel in a bucket or other container you can seal. Spray some spray on the towel. Put the bird in and close it. They will take a few breath and then pass out. Leave them in there for a few minutes. They will stop breathing. It is the most painless way I know (without physical violence/cutting/slicing/blood).

Most starter fluids with higher ether are marketed as such. Like "high performance". So splurge on the more expensive can if there are multiple options. Or even see if you can find that it says it has “ether” in it. But it should no matter what since ether is a standard ingredient in starter fluid.

My method. Makes them pass out and then stop breathing.

You buy "starter" fluid from an auto parts store (or Amazon, like this one.... http://a.co/1MTpAzv ). It is used for spraying into engines/carburetors to "start" them if they are old. It is NOT the stuff you use to start fires or BBQ grills. The stuff you want has a high percentage of "ether", the stuff they used to knock people out for surgery in the 1800's. You put a paper towel in a bucket or other container you can seal. Spray some spray on the towel. Put the bird in and close it. They will take a few breath and then pass out. Leave them in there for a few minutes. They will stop breathing. It is the most painless way I know (without physical violence/cutting/slicing/blood).

Most starter fluids with higher ether are marketed as such. Like "high performance". So splurge on the more expensive can if there are multiple options. Or even see if you can find that it says it has “ether” in it. But it should no matter what since ether is a standard ingredient in starter fluid.
I hope to never have to euthanize anything - it wouldn't be easy for me - but if I did I think this method sounds preferable to others. Just wondering, would this work on a full size chicken as well? Perhaps just more spray and time?

how would she have vitamin deficiency? There are 20 of them and she is the only one who is like this. I am feeding organic chich starter, scrambled eggs 2 x week, and free ranging them on clover/grass etc?

What is poop motor function? did you mean poor motor function?

The vitamin deficiency could be passed on from the parent birds and probably not related to the care she has been receiving. I would try some Nutri - Drench or Polyvisol (infant vitamin liquid) just to give her a boost. Good luck, hope she pulls through.

I hope to never have to euthanize anything - it wouldn't be easy for me - but if I did I think this method sounds preferable to others. Just wondering, would this work on a full size chicken as well? Perhaps just more spray and time?

I have never passed out from it myself, but it is a strong and lasting smell and I try to spray and then close quickly. So yeah, it would work on a full sized chicken since it is noticeable to a grown human pretty instantly. Would just need a larger container and more spray. The main reason I use a paper towel for chicks is that I can just spray directly into the container until I see a little puddle and then stick the paper towel in so it forms a raised ledge. The chick then is on top of that, separated from the spray. That way they don't get coated in it or anything. If I were doing a full size chicken, I would most likely use a 5 gallon bucket and spray onto a cloth rag so it soaks it all up, or spray into the bucket and then line it with a rag to minimize the chicken getting wet.

Back
Top Bottom