Best way to feed roosters and hens living in the same coop.

I buy a 25 pound bag of starter grower crumbles when I get new chicks. That lasts until they are fully feathered and until integration time. I had been feeding Nutrena All Flock for a few years then switched to Dumor All Flock 6 months ago. I learned quickly there is a big difference in brands. My birds wasted a lot of the Nutrena. They really like the Dumor brand and there’s very little waste. They are also more healthy looking as well. So I’ve learned it is important to not cheap out on what you feed your birds. If they are wasting it there’s likely a reason for that.

Warning
** I usually give too much detail, just to answer or explain**
I love my set up - routine, housing and feeding. I am outside in the yard with my chickens every day (weather permitting). I read labels (90% of the time). I have switched between starter/grower and all flock many times *always crumble type. I keep oyster shells in a separate feeder at all times. I keep chick grit and grit, avaliable in their own feeders, at all times. Each coop has (2) 5 gallon bucket waterers with the nipples, and (2) 3 gallon waterers. One of each size waterer in the "house/shelter" and one in the outside "coop/pen" area. I keep all ages together when I can (roos, cockerels, hens, pullets and chicks).
I have 7 large, separate coops by breed/color. *Sometimes* I may have 30 warm bodies of all ages in a coop. Yes, my coops are big enough to keep 30 or more chickens. All of my chickens are allowed out of their coops everyday to forage, and I leave their coop doors open. The roos are out as well, and if any craziness starts, a roo will get put back in their coop alone or (certain hens will want to be with their roo and are allowed to do so). My hens will run back to their own coop to lay an egg, if their door is shut, they get loud and I let them in (I am usually within 50 feet or so). If I have hens with chicks, they are allowed out of their ?holding/grow out/smaller coop? into a large "tractor" (with feed and water) where everyone can safely interact. I have many of the 5 gallon bucket, nipple waterers in different places, so everyone can always have their own "clicks" space and still mingle.
So far, *deep breath* everyone is healthy. I dont "cull" I will compassionately end a life if absolutely necessary, for the health of the chicken (no suffering). My roos live long lives and are cherished by all of us for being great protectors, teachers and entertainment (not to forget about their gorgeous offspring). I know it seems like a lot of extra work but not really (for me). I am that individual, who needs the extra work for my personal ..... wellbeing? sanity? happiness? I was born a ,um, a little high strung, and didnt grow out of it. At 52, I am the annoying, always busy, hard to sit down and do "nothing" crazy granny. I dont have a normal "job" so to speak.... Its my life, and my chickens are a huge part of it, for my personality. I feel like my chickens benefit from my need to DO.
Sooooo....
Back to point.. (I cant help it, forgive me. I want to have a short, simple reply, but I cant) Some of you understand, I hope. 😁
Plenty of fresh water, good quality high protein feed with moderate calcium, always avaliable oyster shells and grit for healthy chickens.
High quality scratch as a treat/snack/gift, only. I know scratch is chips and cookies, and mine get it randomly and in very moderate amounts. Might be every day, might not. Sometimes once a week, just depends on the days occurrences.
Im done now.. LoL.

Like Ginger rose I too have different flocks...all consisting of hens and their roo! I also let everyone out..no fights, no hen stealing. My oldest pair is 8 years..I buy Purina ALL flock ..for my ducks and roos. It is VERY expensive but I like the results. Before letting everyone out...The girls receive layer feed..while they are occupied...the roos receive a ration of all flock..it's placed in a feeder that the girls mostly cannot reach. He has most of it ate before I'm done filling the waterers and/or the girls investigate. Then I gather eggs and open the coop door. Then it's on to the next flock/coop and all is repeated.. Calcium (oyster shell and cleaned egg shell) is kept in each coop and in various places around the homestead. Ducks, hens and even roos occasionally partake when want/need. I don't have runs..they simply free range..

Back
Top Bottom