Best way to grab/hold/carry EYP hen

All Ball

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2013
El Sobrante, CA
Hi folks,

Got a hen with a failed reproductive system leading to ascites, EYP, etc. Her walking and breathing are impacted.

I want to try to handle her in a way that would least increase pain. She is typically flighty and loves her autonomy so that is part of the issue - her main goal at the moment is staying away from me after several days of interventions. I will try to grab her at night once she's lost interest in food/socializing.

I am thinking possibly holding from each side on top of the wings, or with hand under keel bone, trying to avoid pressure underneath, where the fluid has built up? Or possibly wrapping in a towel.

Any thoughts/experience much appreciated.

Thanks, oldhenlikesdogs - it was the butt I was worried about, what with the fluid buildup - so it's good to hear your recommendation, with all your experience. Yes, it's day to day re the culling - I thought yesterday was getting close, then I opened up the compost and she was one of the first birds to jump up and avidly worm hunt... I've opened up the compost again so she can have a little entertainment in her final days.

Greetings All Ball,

Over the years, I have had five hens develop ascites, some very severe. I don't euthanize unless the hen is suffering and has lost quality of life.

The decision to cull/euthanize, also depends on whether your hens are pets, livestock, or semi livestock and pets. It is better to cull if the hens are livestock or if you have more than 10 hens or so. Caring for a hen with ascites will take time and focus, from the rest of the flock.

But if you decide to care for the hen, here are some reasons to euthanize, otherwise the hen can just live out her days in your care.

For instance if the hen has any of the following symptoms:
  • labored breathing to the point where they are gasping
  • can no longer walk
  • they injure themselves (rupture of the belly, broken leg, etc.)
Next, caring for the hen with ascites can be as much or little as your time and resources allow.

Handling the bird to medicate - use a towel to wrap the bird, then support the feet with one hand, set the bird on your lap.
Handling the bird for bathing/soaking - place the bird's chest on your forearm and slide your hand under the belly for support, hold the hen close to you, as it will try to flap its wings. Or, you can tie a long scarf around the hen to hold the wings. Always support the hen's chest with your hand while bathing.

Treatments:
Epsom salt soaks,
10-15 minutes, 1 to 3 times a week will comfort and help to detox the hen.
"The Rub - Arnica Cream" apply each evening, on the belly, around vent and any bald spots, helps reduce pain, swelling and soothes.
40 mg. Aspirin, every 12 hours, to reduce swelling, reduce pain or discomfort. (Use low dose 80 mg. tablets, then split with a pill splitter. Food and water should follow to buffer the intestines.)

There are other treatments I use, depending on symptoms.

Environment:
Quality of life can be increased by providing accommodations.

We placed little ramps and tree stumps around the yard to make it easier for the hen to follow the flock. Exercise is important for these hens.

The hen will not be able to fly up on to the perch, so if you want her to perch with the flock, you'll have to help her up. A safety net under the perch will be needed to prevent falling off. Then, you'll have to help the hen down each morning. Rupture of the belly is possible and is lethal. This usually happens when the hen jumps up or down from high places.
It's safer for the hen to sleep on the floor of the coop, with cover overhead so she doesn't get pooped on. A small covered dog crate is good for this.

Diet:

Besides feed, I give fresh greens, and bit of fruit 2-3 times a week, more during the Summer. Fresh water, probiotics every 3 months, special meals if the hen goes off feed. Occasional treats, not to exceed 10% of daily diet.

Prognosis:
There are different reasons why a hen's body will develop ascites. It is the body's way of ridding toxins. Why there are toxins, is usually not known, until the hen has died and a necropsy is done.

A hen can live on another year or more, or quickly die in spite of all your efforts. Cancers can go into remission. Egg Yolk Peritonitis has a small chance of healing if antibiotics are given, early. Internal laying can also have remission as the body absorbs the egg. But ultimately, a hen with reproductive issues will succumb to the condition without a radical intervention, like implants or even spaying.

I have experienced cancer remissions and quick death in my flock, two hens died just recently. Necropsy by UC Davis, revealed ovarian cancer in the 3 year old hen, and death from a collapsed, shell-less egg, in the 1.5 year old hen, she also was in the beginnings of ovarian cancer. The hens were in good body condition, good gut flora, good feathering, except the 1.5 year old hen. Her feathering was scraggly.

You just never know what can be done to cure the hen, but I have been able to provide a good chicken life for my girls using these things. I've only had to euthanize one hen, she lived an additional year and a half, after her first ascite symptom. During that time she had ascites 3 times and healed after 6-8 weeks each time. Then, I euthanized her on her 4th time, as, she had intense labored breathing and could not walk. She was 3 years old at her death.

These are my thoughts on your hen's ascite issue, based on my pet flock experiences. I sincerely hope that I have been helpful.

God Bless:)

Hen Pen Jem,

This is a great post! I encourage you to consider developing it into an article for the site - with the transition to many people intending to keep chickens as long-lived "pets with benefits," I'm sure a lot of people are encountering reproductive complications resulting from a history of breeding for early egg productivity. Many folks who want to try to accommodate a sick chicken could benefit from your experience and advice.

My hen is 3 years old and her issue is with a soft egg that got stuck too high for her to expel and resulted in jamming her system and internal laying. Another hen who began internal laying managed to last a year with EYP with a pretty decent quality of life, minus roosting and jumping on the retaining wall. Her decline was quick, after I carried her inside for a flystrike check - I am afraid I may have shifted something in her gut when I carried her in, which is why I'm concerned now to hold/carry in the gentlest way possible.

Great post @Hen Pen Jem !
I have had several with this, for those that last comfortably a while, I try to pick them up as far back on the keel bone as I can from the front, without putting pressure on the rear abdomen or as little as possible, while kind of holding them between my body and arm to stabilize and keep the wings in, and putting my other hand on her chest or back for balance, so she doesn't think she going to fall. I try not to do it any more than absolutely necessary as I know it causes discomfort, but sometimes you just have to. I too let mine live until they are really not having any quality of life any more or are obviously not feeling well. I kind of wait for them to tell me when they've had enough. If they are still eating and drinking and mostly hanging with the flock, albeit a bit slower, I leave them be. I've got one now with salpingitis and every day could be her last, it's just one day at a time.

I have a hen displaying all of these symptoms and I've given her baths and greased her up and now her belly is getting bigger. Today she just looks tired and worn out. Maybe it is time to put her down. I've never done it and not sure if I can but hate to see her suffer.

Back
Top Bottom