Best way to introduce two hens

Kimbo bimbo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Hi I currently have 10 birds including 2 ducks and a cockerel. I have just purchased 2 new birds one of which has had a lot of damage from a cockerel and so is very quiet and timid. I have had them quarantined for 3 nights now and they seem pretty happy. Was just wondering the best way to introduce them and if I should keep them seperate for a few more days? Any advice would be appreciated

Put the new ones on the other side of the fence or in a cage with the current chooks they will be able to see each other but keep them inside for two more days then put them in at night time and supervise them waking up and make sure they have a escape root so they cannot be attacked in a corner and destroyed.
D.gif

Lovely will do. Where I have got them they are able to hear the other birds and see them so should be quite used to it. Thanks for your advice

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

You will need to keep them caged for a lot longer than 2 more days. More like a few weeks. It takes time for the pecking order to be worked out. Keep them this way for about 3 weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. After several weeks, you can mix them in. Things should go fairly smoothly. Watch them closely that day and the rest of that week. And always intervene if it turns bloody.

Here is an article from our learning center on mixing new birds into an existing flock....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

Never heard of keeping them apart for 3 weeks the most I did was a week. Great article very helpful. Thanks :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some good advice and a nice link. You might also want to give the new bird with a lot of rooster damage time to recover / grow feathers or be prepared to do something (hen saddle?) with her to keep your cockerel from making it worse.

Luckily he's only a bantam and all my other birds are large fowl birds so hopefully he won't do too much damage. I have another bird with damage and so once they are used to each other was hoping to separate a few birds from the flock to give them rest. The article was really helpful:D

Back
Top Bottom