1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best way to keep water from freezing?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by airmechreed, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    This may sound silly, and I have not tried it, therefore I cannot recommend it.
    However, if you are shy on electric lines going to the coop (for whatever reasons: lack of funds, fear of fires, etc..)
    I met a gentleman in the hunting isle (not me, the Rev. was) he had a cart full of those keep warm packages...(cna't think of the name sorry) you simply squish them and they put out heat to keep hands or feet warm while outside, they work for up to 8 hours.
    We talked about hunting, and he said, quote "I put these up under my waterers...it keeps the water from freezing on cold nights"

So there, absolutely no tried & true personal testimony, but thought I would pass it along.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I am testing crock pots and heated foot baths to keep water thawed. I get them cheap at Goodwill. I am going to make a box to limit their access so they don't perch and poop.

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Quote:They work on a vacuum or siphon principle, if there were a filler on top, when you opened it all the water would run out. That's why I got rid of mine.

5 gallon bucket (free), 3 nipples ($6), bird bath de-icer or aquarium heater ($15-$30.)

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Rubber boots when you water. [​IMG]

6. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    ahhh, I get it now. Yea, it is such a pain right? or was a pain for you. I still have mine. Was there a pic of your setup?

Quote:They work on a vacuum or siphon principle, if there were a filler on top, when you opened it all the water would run out. That's why I got rid of mine.

5 gallon bucket (free), 3 nipples ($6), bird bath de-icer or aquarium heater ($15-$30.)

7. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta

Do the nipples stay ice free in the coop or out? I have thought about switching to the nipples for cleanliness but assumed the would freeze even if you kept the water supply from freezing.

8. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    you mean my imitation uggs won't keep water out?!! [​IMG]

9. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta

Maybe if you are an avid wine drinker and fill all the holes w/ corks [​IMG]

10. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    How did you know Kassaundra? I mean it, how did you know? [​IMG]

Quote:
    Maybe if you are an avid wine drinker and fill all the holes w/ corks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by