Best way to keep water from freezing?

Quote:
Funny! But so true!

I've been researching for solutions too --so thanks OP for starting this thread.

I bought a 5 gal water cooler jug (Walmart) for $7 and plan to up end it into a 5 gal pail (free) with holes cut for access. If I make 2, I can swap these am and pm. No electricity in coop except for the light on a timer, powered via extension cord.

Still all theory; will need a test run.

caf.gif

Hah!

lau.gif

I just got this mental image of my proposed flock of 6 laying hens and one pet silkie scurrying around their water dish like dancing honeybees vibrating their wings at the ice dish trying to make it melt....

Quote:
That is what we used all last year inside the coop, w/ extension cords (hopefully soon to be wired since my husband is an electrician!!!!) but I seem to be close to the last on his list
smack.gif
When I read your post I went and got 2 cookie tins one the size of a salad plate the other a dinner plate and stood on each of them they were completely fine and I assure you I weigh at least twice as much as 3 gallons of water
lau.gif

Oh and we have the extension cord plugged into a gfi outlet.

Outside water is still fresh warm water delivered in the morning by one of us.

I have the same question about keeping waterers from freezing. But, I do not have a means by which to run electricity to the coop. Does anyone have any creative ideas for this type of situation?

I have a heated waterer and let me tell you they are a huge pain in the butt to fill or at least mine is.

I am constantly spilling water all over my feet trying to turn it upright after filling. I have been using it lately as it holds more water. Today after I had it filled with fresh water, I turn it right side up and the bottom comes loose and water is spilled all over my feet. Imagine that in bone chilling temps? There has got to be a better way!

The heated plastic 3 gallon waterers are a huge pain to fill but work all too well for me to give it up. Well, they're easy to fill through the rubber grommet but many times the bottom comes off and you practically need two people to lock it back on. Any local farm supply would have one and they cost the same as the metal waterer- $40. I attached cord (small rope) to handle so it hangs level, our run is movable and not always left level. Last winter with temps -10 to -20 F it only had a thin partial ice layer I had to skim/chip out. Uses 100 watts when on, auto shut off when water temp hits 35 F. Worked well and this years model has deeper dish for less spilling when turning over.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=23286 Eligible for free shipping via UPS.

Back
Top Bottom