best way to put a chick out of its miserey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i have a baby chick who has a balance problem... her legs are weird and she cannot stand at all.... ive not slept for a day trying to get this chick to eat something but nothing worked.... my heart is aching.... ive searched a painless way to kill a baby chick and it was cutting their head.... i really cannot do that..... like forreal i will get a panic attack and probably a heart attack too if i ever kill a baby chick... is it okay if i leave her next to me and blow warm air on her until the day she dies of hunger? please help me
I know the feeling, I have gone thru it a lot just this month. Trying to help the chick. But for me I let nature take it course. I just had a chick just a few days ago like that, but already knew that it wasn't not going to make it, I just separated it from the other chicks and let it take it course. Yes I tried feeding it and giving it water, but it would not take any. It passed later that night. So good luck. And sorry you have to see it that way.

I have fed chicks glucose fluid with a syringe, it saved one from dying and it's now about 4 months old. Can also use a kids Calpol syringe. Or drop it of your finger onto beak very carefully and slowly, chick will take liquid successfully like that too. Recipes online for emergency fluids, or you can buy glucose powder etc

hi i have a baby chick who has a balance problem... her legs are weird and she cannot stand at all.... ive not slept for a day trying to get this chick to eat something but nothing worked.... my heart is aching.... ive searched a painless way to kill a baby chick and it was cutting their head.... i really cannot do that..... like forreal i will get a panic attack and probably a heart attack too if i ever kill a baby chick... is it okay if i leave her next to me and blow warm air on her until the day she dies of hunger? please help me
We nursed a sick chick in a similar situation with a dropper and making our own electrolyte water (get the tecipe online, it's easy). We fed her every hour or two or more depending on what we were doing. She is over a year old now, smaller than the other hens and slower with some misshaped feathers. But she is cheerful and talking. Doesn't get picked on. It was worth it to us. Your chick may still die, we had another one that did, but we feel good about 'Miss Puny'.

I know it's hard to put an animal down. I hate it and feel bad that it has to be done. Vets around me don't deal with chickens. Chickens can have all kinds of things happen to them at any point in their lives that will necessitate euthanasia as the humane thing to do. I admit that I will get my husband to do it whenever possible, but sometimes it has to be me. I always say that I will not get anymore chickens afterwards, but I do.

When I got three 2 day old Rhode islands 2 weeks ago, one of them exhibited the symptoms you mentioned and I was heartbroken but decided to wait 12 hours to see what happened. 12 hours later, she was up and drinking water. An hour later, she was up and eating but she slept more (and still was wobbly) than the other two. By the next day, she was up and running with other chicks so I am glad I waited it out.

Last edited:
Just grab a bucket, pick your chick up, give her a kiss tell her you love her, hold her in one hand the other supporting her head and in a motion somewhat like cpr, just bring your hand down on her neck. This is only if she's a young chick. You'll be doing her a favour. Do not look at her immediately after doing this or you'll freak out and think she's still alive, she's not. She won't be suffering either. Never ever even considering any animal to starve to death

Last edited:
Yes I agree, I realise many more posts after this had posted/ happened, newbie error ☹️
But I still thought my reply was helpful if this person ever has a similar problem. She may have more chicks and might appreciate this positive advise for next time. I apologise if my post caused any upset to the them.

Im not trying to torture anything.... im trying to end it but i simply just cant... i tried going to the vet and it was closed... i tried to put scissors but i just couldn't i asked my parents and they denied..... if i was trying to torture the chick i wouldn't have posted this yelling for help.... you are so mean...
I feel for you, I also find it hard to kill an animal to put it out of its suffering but it's part of life, we will all have to do it at some stage if you have animals. I have found injured birds or creatures that I know will not recover, I make a nice soft bed in a box and put them in and after a little while I put them in the freezer, yes it's cold but they go to sleep real quick. It's the way I would prefer to go myself if need be😊.

Well if you can't deal with every part of husbandry maybe you don't need to own animals. It's not easy the first time but doing the right thing in life is often not the easy thing.
Yeah... I agree with this and, fortunately, have my husband do the dirty work but if I ever do have to I'd do it VERY quickly and move on and remind myself that they are livestock and they don't have feelings. Still, very hard for a tenderhearted person! For a lot of chicken people it's not about husbandry but about pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom