Best way to reduce and eliminate flies?

Try some fly paper. It's pretty cheap.

I'd say spraying a liquid Permethrin would do no good, maybe a Permithrin powder if the fly lands in it, but yea probably not worth the money or effort. Your problem is you leave the poo for a week in the building. Try to clean some up every morning and add a little shavings. Chickens require a little maintenance if you are lucky.

I just need to know the secret.
LOL!! There is no secret. I have nine chickens and I must pick up their poop four to five times a day in their run area because I do not like flies. You say you are going to add more chickens, but the more chickens you have, the more poop there will be and the more flies you will have.

What is the best way to eliminate the flies in the chicken area?

I haven't seen a pile of crap yet that a fly hasn't landed on. So what does that tell you... Eliminate the crap and eliminate the flies. The best and fun way is with an M80. :D If you don't want to be told what to do then use a plastic scraper and dust pan, I would understand.......... I have a brother in law that thinks the same way.

Okay everyone... I have calmed down now. I agree, I just have to clean more often and maybe plant some rosemary and lavender plants outside, but near the chicken coop and run. Thank you.

Do I understand that your chickens are in the coop most of the day and only allowed outside briefly? Or is there also an outdoor run that they can be in during the day? I agree with others here who have answered you, where there is poop there will be flies. The solution to your problem is cleanliness. Also do not hose out the coop with water, that will make the problem much worse. Keep the bedding dry. Can you post pictures of your setup, showing how the birds roost? Is there a tray under the roosts that you can scrape clean each morning so you do not have to clean the entire coop? If so, you can put cat litter on the tray and add something called PDZ powder on it, I believe it helps keep it smelling fresh. Look at some of the coop designs here on the forum for ideas.

Back
Top Bottom