Best way to remove bad eggs from a nest?

Kali-Peep

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Northern Michigan
One of my peahens has been sitting on six eggs for more than a month. I don't believe they will hatch. What is the best way to remove them without causing her trauma? She has been so diligent on her nest and I feel bad that it has not worked out for her. Thank you.

One of my peahens has been sitting on six eggs for more than a month. I don't believe they will hatch. What is the best way to remove them without causing her trauma? She has been so diligent on her nest and I feel bad that it has not worked out for her. Thank you.

She must get off once or twice a day for food and water. It would be best if you could sneak in and remove them while she is off the nest. She will be upset for a couple days, but she will get over it, and it is unhealthy for her to remain sitting too long. Sorry it didn't work out for her, I always feel bad for the ones that try so hard and don't get babies.

Here's what I would do. Complicated, but would make a happy hen:

Find some chicks, buy the chicks, and sneak out while she's sleeping and swap the eggs out for chicks. I've done it with chickens and mama never knows the difference.
But, if that isn't an option, I would deffinately take them while she's not on the nest. And be careful, rotten eggs can and will EXPLODE if handled roughly!
Good luck with whatever you decide!

X2, all at once. She will worry about the missing eggs if she's like a chicken, and the drama will be dragged out for her. Poor peahen, it's always so sad when nothing hatches :'(
One time I had a little Silkie sitting on seventeen eggs (She started with six) and a snake came and ate all but three. The snake bit my roo who tried to protect the eggs, so I lost fourteen eggs, my wonderful little roo, and the last three eggs never hatched. Mama Jean was devastated and sulked until we got a new roo, which perked her up some. Poor Jean though, it took FIVE roos before she finally approved of one. She's so funny, she will NOT let any roo other than Gustav near her.
Anyway, I'd take them al at once to make this a little easier on mama :)

Hi- Just wondering if you checked the eggs to see why they did not hatch. Were they infertile or did the chicks die along the way. I recently had a hen have three chicks die under her at full term not able to get out of the egg. That was the first time for that happening and was wondering if yours may also have been full term but did not hatch.

I went to take the eggs away the next time I saw her off the nest and there were three more eggs in the nest. I'm not sure when she added them, so I am leaving her alone for a while longer.

Back
Top Bottom