Peahen Eggs

gtb66

Songster
Jan 3, 2020
North Texas
One of our neighbor’s peahens ran away from home and has joined my chickens. She has been here for over six months now. She has been mated by one of many peacocks at the neighbors and I’m wondering if her eggs are fertile for life of does she need to mate each season? Thanks.

Hello!

Unfortunately her eggs will not be fertile if she has not been breeding with a male in the season that she lays eggs (usually during the late spring and summer). Her eggs will most likely only be fertile if she has mated within a week or two ago. Occasionally a peahen will continue to lay fertilized eggs longer than about
two-ish weeks, however it is rare and the more time that she hasn’t been mated, the less likely the eggs will be fertile.

One of our neighbor’s peahens ran away from home and has joined my chickens. She has been here for over six months now. She has been mated by one of many peacocks at the neighbors and I’m wondering if her eggs are fertile for life of does she need to mate each season? Thanks.
they need to be mated regularly during the breeding season for eggs to be fertile.

they need to be mated regularly during the breeding season for eggs to be fertile.
Yeah, at least once per week. Brad had a setup between two pens where he kept hens in both pens and he would share a cock between the two pens. He would open the gate between them and the cock would visit for about three or four days then Brad would chase him back to the other pen.

Back
Top Bottom