Best way to store eggs for bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NYRIR, Jan 29, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi,[​IMG]
    I want to hatch some chicks this year from my own flock.How do I store the eggs for that?Room temp?(It flucuates here with wood heat so I will wait a bit longer)Or in the fridge?I know you should use clean eggs (but not washed)Also,I heard somewhere to "tilt" the eggs during storage?The only hatching I have done was last year from some eggs a friend gave me and I don't know how they were stored.I did get 9 out of 13 last year,so not too bad for a first time with an old bator...any suggestions would be appreciated.I'd like to increase my chances of a good hatch rate.

2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    well i tell ya what... i'm still a newb, and right now i'm incubating... jaksdfjaksldfj;laf i think 60 or so eggs right now... started with 80... but it took me a month to collect that many eggs... i placed them in my house on top of my fish tank... the temp is somewhat stable around 70° or so during days... and a lot of the old ones are actually doing great... and i read here that after two weeks they aren't that great to hatch...

anyways... i have been storing them point down and in a reptile condo... it stays around 60°F day or night... i wouldn't put them in the fridge though... might ruin the eggs...

3. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I use a wine fridge (from target) set at 50 degrees. The eggs usually stay good up to 3 weeks for me. I tilt the carton and every other day, tilit the other way. You don't have to but it helps the chicks not get "stuck" to one side or pip on wrong side of the egg during incubation. Be sure to store the eggs small side down.

**Oh and when ready to hatch - set them on their side in room temp and turn them for 24 to 48 hours before setting in the incubator.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I store in a cool room, at a 45 degree angle, and switch ends twice daily.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Fridge works great, some folks dont like the idea, but its always done good for me. & turn them every day.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    So ok, I want to set about 25 eggs.Right now I get at least 18,sometimes 26 a day,so they won't sit long before putting in the bator. Is it ok to just take them from the nest and set them in a day or two? I ask this because I know a hen will wait for a full clutch...which is usually longer,right?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you are getting ready to incubate, you might read this article. I always do as a refresher before I start.

Texas A&M Incubation site
    http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

If you are getting that many a day, you have no real problem. I'd save two days worth, pick out the ones I want (the more standard normal eggs. Stay away from any extra large or extra small), and put them in the incubator. Look them over to avoid the dirty or cracked ones. If you really want to, you can try candling to look for real fine cracks but I don't.

You can store them in a bowl for a couple of days without worrying about turning. Try to store them in a cooler part of the house away from that wood fire, not in sunlight and not in a breeze or a draft. I plug in my turner and store them in that while I'm waiting to get enough but you don't have to do that.

Welcome to the adventure of hatching your own eggs. You should have fun.

8. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I made a box that is about a foot off the ground in my hatching room. I put the eggs in an egg tray and set down in the box, turned 2-3 times a day.
    The room stays about 70 and on top of the box it is 62-65. I have stored eggs up to a month this way and always have a 98% hatch rate.

9. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    if i know i'm only collecting for a week, they sit next to the bator. but, if i am collecting for a larger time, i stick them in the fridge. i get almost 100 percent growing from refridgerated eggs. doesnt seem to bother them at all. just remember if you stick them in the fridge, to give them a day to warm up before you stick them in the bator.

10. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    I set my turner on a table and plug it in once its loaded in the bator it goes
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by