Best way to transport chickens?

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice! The temps are still fairly low here plus we are going further north so it will be a few degrees lower. We have a medium sized carrier that will allow both chickens to travel together and we will fill it with the same hay they are used to having in their coop and nesting boxes. We will cover and secure the carrier so it cannot slide around or move at all. Luckily it's all back roads for us, no major highways so we'll be able to take our time and have an easy smooth trip. My in laws are so excited and ready to spoil their new chickens so I have no doubt we will be leaving them in good hands :) Again thank you everyone for the great advice!

They will be fine, and while they may be a little unsure of a new place, the trip won't bother them. They will just hunker down. I have transported birds in a wire cage with no long term effects.

Someone else recommended you cover the carrier with something. This is crucial for the well being of the chickens so they don't feel vulnerable. When chickens are subjected to unfamiliar circumstances, they instinctively seek cover. In other words, they want to hide. It's sort of like a toddler being afraid and they find comfort and security hiding under the bed covers or mommy's skirt. It makes the bad world go away.

Thank you everyone! Both chickens handled the trip very well, in fact they didn't seem to mind it at all. We kept them covered during the ride and the temps were in the low 50's all day so they stayed nice and comfy. I received messages today that they had laid a couple eggs this morning and were already coming to my father in law when he rings the bell we brought him that's exactly like the one I trained them with. It was a successful trip and a lot of fun delivering my hand raised chickens to family :)

Back
Top Bottom