Best way to treat quail with bleeding head wound?

I kind of lucked into my snake guy. He was buying eggs, and I offered him some pickled eggs. He told me that he was feeding the eggs to his reptiles, and I mentioned that I get chicks now and then that need to be culled, and he started buying them and some extra boys now and then.
Oh nice! Maybe I will get lucky too—someone has shown interest in two of them anyway. I also already have a taker for my extra babies that hatch on Monday too :) wish I had room for all of them haha. Pansy Fees aren’t feather sexable are they? 😩

Oh nice! Maybe I will get lucky too—someone has shown interest in two of them anyway. I also already have a taker for my extra babies that hatch on Monday too :) wish I had room for all of them haha. Pansy Fees aren’t feather sexable are they? 😩
They kind of are after you get used to them. You can tell by their face markings. The females will have a clear crescent on their cheeks while the males will have more solid brown heads. The one circled is a hen. The one in the back is a roo.

1622759440504.jpeg

They kind of are after you get used to them. You can tell by their face markings. The females will have a clear crescent on their cheeks while the males will have more solid brown heads. The one circled is a hen. The one in the back is a roo.

View attachment 2702480
Oh sweet! That is nice to see, and will make my life a tiny bit easier haha.

I found another wound on the one quail...that was hidden under its wing :-( Poor little dude! He looks so sad...

What did you use to clean the injury? One of my birds is injured and I don't know what to use?
I rinsed the area that was bloody with warm water and then sprayed the entire area with Vetrycin. I did this once a day and kept them in a smaller, sort of dark and quiet cage to recover. We called the one that was most injured One-Eyed Willy because he couldn't open his right eye and I was afraid it was stuck that way. Turns out after about a week of healing the eye slowly re-opened. It's not as open as it used to be, but it's open :) I culled the really big bully and they are all getting along now. No more injuries so far. I have also read others using Hen Healer or Blu-Kote for serious skin damage. I found the Vetrycin to be enough to keep the infection risk down. I hope you are able to help your injured quail!

Okay, just curious @Nabiki are these two little ones that survived the first round hatch showing any signs of being girls yet? 🙃 They're getting so pretty! I’m assuming the heads need to be feathered out but figured I’d ask anyway haha.

Attachments

• 6E84E473-716E-4154-8C4A-BA8A5F4674BC.jpeg
    6E84E473-716E-4154-8C4A-BA8A5F4674BC.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom