BEST WAYS TO COOK BLACK AUSTRALORPS

I raise and periodically process cockerels from several breeds of dual-purpose chickens, and have also raised Black Australorps (and crosses) in the past. I find that waiting until they're 5 months old results in a larger carcass - if space, temperament, weather, and other factors permit. Sometimes, they don't.

As has already been advised, the dressed-out bird should rest for several days after processing. My cooking method of choice is the electric pressure cooker (EPC); with enough time (regardless, it will be much quicker than a slow cooker), even older birds are rendered tender. Once the bird is cooked and de-boned, I make the most amazing bone broth in the EPC, too. Highly recommend.

We have something called mushroom seasoning in the Asian food section of my local market. They created it with the idea of replacing harmful MSG. I chop my chicken into pieces and throw them in an automatic type pressure cooker with different cooking selections. I cover the chicken pieces with water and season it with 2 tbs mushroom seasoning, 1 tbs salt, 1 tbs dried onion flakes and 1 tbs dried garlic flakes. Then I press the soup button. If the chicken is young, I use the low or medium setting, and if the chicken is old, I use the well done setting. This is the base for my stock, after its done, I separate and save the meat from the liquid and add water to fill a 1 gallon container.
The first day, I eat some of the meat and soup just like that with rice and other side dishes, then after that anything goes. In Hawaii, the local people use different types of vegetables and add fish sauce to the base and turn it into green papaya soup, long squash soup, moringa (kalamungay) soup, Bitter melon leaf soup, sweet potato leaf soup or Thai Tom Yum Gai, anything goes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom