BEST winter layer.

Thanks everyone.

Our local ordinance only allows us 4 birds so its hard to rotate in new girls. We typically keep 6 but even so that not much flexibility. That why we are hoping for some hens who will do their best for us for a few winters.

We found Henderson's chicken chart very helpful.

I'm a bit late joining the party here, but I'd definitely say red sex-links! I've had many over the past few years, they never stop laying, year-round. They do slow down after reaching about two years of age, but before that it's just flat out all the way, pretty astounding.
tongue.png

Now, going down there in the dark, on a winters' evening, to collect the eggs from a sodden nest beneath a tree dripping with water... sometimes I wish they'd take a break.
lol.png

Quote:
That's the key!

Ensuring a winter supply of eggs is all about timing, rather than breed. Chickens will always lay best in the first year of laying and some breeds have higher production than others (although the high volume layers tend to burn out fast). My suggestiion would be to raise a few sex-links or Leghorns in mid to late summer so that they begin laying at the beginning of winter, ensuring a winter supply of eggs. I bought 3 white Leghorns in August and they should start laying around Christmastime. I can't wait! All my older hens quit laying a few weeks ago and I really need some eggs! If I'd planned it a little better, I'd've bought them in June or July so they'd start laying as soon as the fall molt started.

Yes- I unintentionally (I mean, I did it intentionally, but wasn't thinking for this reason, I just couldn't say no to a deal!) bought 6 red stars from the farm store in early June because they were clearancing their last round of chicks and they were B1G1. And now, with like 8 hours of daylight, they are still laying an egg a day while my others, who are also first year pullets but who were born in April, have dropped off a little (they're not molting, though, and I do have a few hours of light in the coop).

Faverolles are known for their good winter laying and so far mine are not disappoiting while the rocks have slowed down - and to answer someones question _ the Delawares still goign strong too!

Back
Top Bottom