better layer?

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
Im in charge of picking out a breed of chicken for my parents. I have it narrowed to Wyandottes and Orpingtons. In your opinion, which lays

#1- larger eggs?
#2- more eggs?
#3- better winter production?

Get half of each!
smile.png
I find Wyandottes more appealing to the eye, but my SL is hard to catch. She only comes when I have food. The rest jump right up in my lap. Don't know about Orpingtons though.. I can't seem to find any around my province.

I would suggest a barred rock though. They are WONDERFUL. Great layers/winter friendly/ beautiful/sweethearts!

I was just browsing through the first egg postings
and the orpingtons seemed quite large...
I just got a birchin..black star sexlink cross....
was thinking I had big eggs to look forward to but now am not so conviinced

Plymouth Rocks (barred, partridge, columbian, white, etc etc) are VERY friendly, tolerate confinement but are smart about free-ranging (I didn't have a coop for 2 years), and lay straight through Southeast winters (Atlanta and Upstate SC) without batting an eye.

I don't know what region your parents live in, but I'd definitely recommend rocks for people who haven't had chickens, or want friendly ones.

I haven't seen my Australorps lay, but they're so hefty that I'd have a hard time believing they'd slow down much except for the coldest winters. Living in the South definitely has its advantages!!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Wyandottes but my Buff Orpingtons lay about 4-5 eggs a week. We just got our chicks in March so we haven't the winter experience yet but I think I read that the Buff Orpingtons are good winter layers. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom