Better pics, gender help needed

Beckymca

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks for your help. I'm thinking I got it figured out on these bigger birds, about 7 weeks old, still sort of guessing on the younger ones, but if I've got these right I'll get the others in time. I'm glad they are all the same breed, buff orps. I do have one that is 3/4 Buff orp and 1/4 something else, I think she said, top hat?!?!? Now what does one do if they have like 5+ roos out of 14 hatchlings? Somone asked to buy one of the Roos, what is a fair price? At what age can they be processed for meat? And until what age can they stay together without major issues?

62227_chcikens_1.jpg

The little one int he lower left hand corner is younger but I'm still thinking pullet, then rooster, rooster and pullet behind them all? Am I right? Thanks for your time and help!!!!

Looks like I see two boys and two girls there. Real cute! I've got a couple of buff orps myself, and they are lovely. The ladies really almost have no comb at all......

Oh, regarding the extra roosters, why don't you put up an ad on Craigslist? It doesn't cost anything to do that. Alot of people give roosters away. Or you could ask for a small amount........no more than $5.00 I'd say.

The Buff Orp is a great dual purpose bird, so you could actually have the extra males processed and it'll give you some nice meat for the freezer. If you let them grow up to adult sized, you could keep the nicest one.

So if I sold a 7 week old Rooster for $3 it would be fair. I can't see giving them away, I'd rather find someone to process them for me and eat them. I can't believe how fast I've become hooked on chickens, they are great fun and entertaining. I love just watching them, lol..... Thanks again for your help!!!!

Depends on your area I guess. I paid $3-$7 for pullets of that age. I had 4 roos that were gifted to me (they were supposed to be pullets) and I have rehomed 3 so far for free... just people who knew people that I had talked to about wanting to give away a roo. All 3 went into flocks that are free range for protection. I am thinking of keeping the 4th roo for a bit and see if he turns out to get along with my BR roo.

Back
Top Bottom