Better Picture Added

silkie33

Songster
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Carthage,N.Y.
I'm an idiot I still can not tell the difference between male and female at this young age. Any help would be great ,thanks.
10355_100_0981.jpg

10355_100_0979.jpg

10355_100_0983.jpg

Last edited:
I was given an excellent lesson in IDing IB chicks. Hens have bars at the ends of the feathers, males have barring along the length of the feather.

Here is a male
3210700d.jpg

Here is a female
5290dfa8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They look like two male spaldings. The last one is pretty dark but still has barring so I am thinking male but the first one really looks like a male to me.
wink.png

1. Male

2. female........note few barring on feathers

Spalding are darker ,more green blood harder to sex.

sure of these two.

yes first male, second female but the male in the very first post does not look to well to me at all. I am hoping it is just the picture so please update us!
hmm.png

Quote:
I agree 1st chick does look like it is sick, you can see its eyes are not clear. Have they been wormed , on medicated feed ?

It's just the picture quality that makes his eyes look like that. It was also a cooler day. But they should be dewormed.What and how much would I use?

Hi Alea,
Slow down,
Spalding peachicks under 3 months old are tricky to sex.

Be careful you might mistook a male Spalding peachick for a female Spalding peachick ! (joke)
lau.gif

Both sexes of adult Spalding peafowls have orange primaries and blackish-blue secondaries.

At 2-6 months old Spalding peachicks are heavily barred with buff bars on dark brown feathers.

Adult male Spalding peafowls are beautiful birds, looked like green peafowls (pavo muticus), but blue head, green-blue neck, and a mixture between Indian Blue peafowl and green peafowl.

Spalding peafowls are hybrid between Indian blue peafowl and green peafowl.

The person who bred these hybrid peafowls, was Mrs Spalding, who putted green peafowl eggs into Indian Blue peafowl's nest, and green peafowls grew thinking they were Indian Blue peafowls. Same year Mrs Spalding putted Indian blue peafowl eggs into green peafowl's nest. When these imprinted peafowls reached 3 years old, few birds mated with wrong birds, etc a male Indian Blue peafowl mated with 1 or 2 female green peafowls and female green peafowls ended up raising these Spalding peachicks.
To keep Spalding peachicks tame, Mrs Spalding kept them in a big avairy.

In Singapore in 1991, I found both sexes of free-rangling Spalding peafowls were tame.

I wondered...Are you thinking of buy Spalding peachicks ???
jumpy.gif

Clinton.

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom