Better to put on side of house or out back?

You planning to wait until spring to buy the chicks? I suppose you might be able to find older birds, but if chicks arrive in fall they would probably end up being indoors longer than usual once the cold temps hit which would be a royal pita.
I kinda hoped to, but when looking at the timeframe between now and November I I figure I can start getting things set now and buy the birds in the spring. Then again with availability of some things this year, not sure if I really want to wait that long.

I would put it out back! Mine was close to my house and during fall and winter it smelled so bad for some reason rain/cold weather and chicken poop do not mix it was awful we ended up moving it the back lol 🤷🏻‍♀️ We are in the woods but haven’t had a problem with predators my husband and our dogs mark their territory often 🤣😂😂

IMG_20200731_205631.jpg

Actually... get the coop done BEFORE the chicks. Then if you can run electricity out to the coop, you can brood them outdoors. Easier for you, easier on the chicks, win win.

Also don't think I saw it mentioned, but OP I assume you checked on any setback requirements as far as where the coop can be located? Mine for example is 10' from property line, but no restriction on how close it can be to your own house.
Before or after the OP should search for sources now. If she wants to order from a hatchery some still have long delivery times depending on the breed.

Back
Top Bottom