Better to put on side of house or out back?

csparks82

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2020
Southern Michigan, USA
We live on a narrow plot of land a bit larger than our house (besides our side yard, but that is down into the swampy area kinda). Out back we have a lot of space, but there is an old shed that is probably a few years from falling down and behind that is a open area that is surrounded by trees and also woods on one side. Our lot is adjacent to a wetlands/swamp area and the other side is my neighbors. I was trying to figure out if it is best to put it close to the house or out back. Our back the smell would not be an issue, but up front it would, but there are foxes/coyotes and other things that do come around. I am gonna try to secure my coop and run as well as I can and that probably will be good for what we have going out there, but looking for best advice. Our house has a L shape out back, but not sure it would be such a great spot for a coop.

Another thing to think about when choosing a location is how you will have to tend to your chickens 365 days per year no matter how horrible the weather -- in blistering heat and driving rain and heavy snow.

AMEN to this one!

I posted elsewhere that I felt like my chicken's servant yesterday going out in 110˚ weather every hour or so to tend to their comfort. But, joking aside, this is the contract we make with them. They provide eggs and perhaps meat. We make sure they have good living conditions in return.

Not sure how far away "out back" is but there will be multiple trips a day to let them out into the run, to free range, to get eggs, to lock up at night and that is in the snow, rain etc... Plus I like to be able to hear if the birds scream at night due to a predator so I don't want them too far away from the house.

Plus in the future you may want to be able to run power to the coop with a cord or whatever for various reasons.

I have never had issues with odors but maybe that is just me.

There are so many considerations and only you will be able to evaluate your circumstances and come up with the best placement.

• Trees are great for shade and the canopy gives some protection from swooping raptors.

• Woods house predators. Making your enclosure secure can mitigate this. What are your plans for security?

• Distance isolates you from noise and odors but it probably also means distance from electricity and water so do you want to carry water and brood someplace else or is bringing water and electricity to the chickens an option?

• You're also going to be trekking out to collect eggs and check on feed and water. How far are you willing to go a few times a day?

• Wet is a bad combination with chicken poo. Good drainage is important.

• Your chickens will need protection from weather. Is cold an Issue? How can you protect from freezing winds? Is heat going to be your problem? How can you maximize cooling breezes?

• Chickens require a fair amount of supplies. Will you have a rodent-proof spot nearby for feed, extra bedding, first aid supplies, feeding supplements?

Wish I had an answer for you but you will be the best judge of which of these things determine your spot and which you'll need to plan for.

Well if you get chicks you can figure it will be 6 weeks before they move out to the coop so once you have a plan and a time frame you can get the chicks while the coop is being finished.

Actually... get the coop done BEFORE the chicks. Then if you can run electricity out to the coop, you can brood them outdoors. Easier for you, easier on the chicks, win win.

Also don't think I saw it mentioned, but OP I assume you checked on any setback requirements as far as where the coop can be located? Mine for example is 10' from property line, but no restriction on how close it can be to your own house.

Lots of good input. I’d like to add use high ground. If that means bringing in fill like pit-run to get you a high,level, solid spot then I think the field is wide open for wherever you want it. I think a football field away is an extremely long trek several times a day. I think most coops its pretty hard to smell them 25 feet away unless you have an issue.
also predators tend to stay away from the house compared to a coop on the back 40.
On the flip side, chickens are very social and will LOVE to camp on your porch if you let them out to free range. You’ll be cleaning your deck and porch everyday.
Poop everywhere. It’s one thing they do very efficiently 😂

I kinda hoped to, but when looking at the timeframe between now and November I I figure I can start getting things set now and buy the birds in the spring. Then again with availability of some things this year, not sure if I really want to wait that long.
Well if you get chicks you can figure it will be 6 weeks before they move out to the coop so once you have a plan and a time frame you can get the chicks while the coop is being finished.

It is a shame you can't save that old shed. That would make such a neat hen house!

Avoid swampy ground, even if it's 'seasonal'.
You probably want power for a heated waterer, don't need to heat the coop tho.
You don't need a hose to reach coop, I just carry out a gallon jug daily, filled in the warmth of the house.

Remember snow, want to slog thru it every day, or shovel a path?
Same with size of coop and weather proofing the run.
Those days long blizzards can be confining, ChickenCabinFever is Real, and it can get ugly.

IMO 250 feet is pretty far. I think my coop is probably 70 ft from the back door (with the run behind it). Since I am running out there a lot especially if there are chicks being raised out there I prefer closer.

One of the biggest issues I have is level ground. Because of the drain field though I either need to sit on top of it or really need to go out past it ways because with the swamp the area in the middle of the yard is hard to use for anything. It is the only constant sunlight so I have a small garden in containers out there atm. I can probably post a pic, might have one if not will have to go out and take one tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom