Better to put on side of house or out back?

csparks82

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2020
Southern Michigan, USA
We live on a narrow plot of land a bit larger than our house (besides our side yard, but that is down into the swampy area kinda). Out back we have a lot of space, but there is an old shed that is probably a few years from falling down and behind that is a open area that is surrounded by trees and also woods on one side. Our lot is adjacent to a wetlands/swamp area and the other side is my neighbors. I was trying to figure out if it is best to put it close to the house or out back. Our back the smell would not be an issue, but up front it would, but there are foxes/coyotes and other things that do come around. I am gonna try to secure my coop and run as well as I can and that probably will be good for what we have going out there, but looking for best advice. Our house has a L shape out back, but not sure it would be such a great spot for a coop.

Not sure how far away "out back" is but there will be multiple trips a day to let them out into the run, to free range, to get eggs, to lock up at night and that is in the snow, rain etc... Plus I like to be able to hear if the birds scream at night due to a predator so I don't want them too far away from the house.

Plus in the future you may want to be able to run power to the coop with a cord or whatever for various reasons.

I have never had issues with odors but maybe that is just me.

Not sure how far away "out back" is but there will be multiple trips a day to let them out, in, get eggs etc... including in the rain/snow etc... Plus I like to be able to hear if the birds scream at night due to a predator so I don't want them too far away from the house.

I have never had issues with odors but maybe that is just me.

Well if it is in front of the old shed probably about 250ft. Behind it would be about 300ft maybe less. Never actually measured it. Actually going by my hoses length.

Well if it is in front of the old shed probably about 250ft. Behind it would be about 300ft maybe less. Never actually measured it. Actually going by my hoses length.

IMO 250 feet is pretty far. I think my coop is probably 70 ft from the back door (with the run behind it). Since I am running out there a lot especially if there are chicks being raised out there I prefer closer.

There are so many considerations and only you will be able to evaluate your circumstances and come up with the best placement.

• Trees are great for shade and the canopy gives some protection from swooping raptors.

• Woods house predators. Making your enclosure secure can mitigate this. What are your plans for security?

• Distance isolates you from noise and odors but it probably also means distance from electricity and water so do you want to carry water and brood someplace else or is bringing water and electricity to the chickens an option?

• You're also going to be trekking out to collect eggs and check on feed and water. How far are you willing to go a few times a day?

• Wet is a bad combination with chicken poo. Good drainage is important.

• Your chickens will need protection from weather. Is cold an Issue? How can you protect from freezing winds? Is heat going to be your problem? How can you maximize cooling breezes?

• Chickens require a fair amount of supplies. Will you have a rodent-proof spot nearby for feed, extra bedding, first aid supplies, feeding supplements?

Wish I had an answer for you but you will be the best judge of which of these things determine your spot and which you'll need to plan for.

IMO 250 feet is pretty far. I think my coop is probably 70 ft from the back door (with the run behind it). Since I am running out there a lot especially if there are chicks being raised out there I prefer closer.

One of the biggest issues I have is level ground. Because of the drain field though I either need to sit on top of it or really need to go out past it ways because with the swamp the area in the middle of the yard is hard to use for anything. It is the only constant sunlight so I have a small garden in containers out there atm. I can probably post a pic, might have one if not will have to go out and take one tomorrow.

There are so many considerations and only you will be able to evaluate your circumstances and come up with the best placement.

• Trees are great for shade and the canopy gives some protection from swooping raptors.

Most of the coops I have been looking at building included or I figured I would I would have a roof or similar on the top of, so I was not considering swooping raptors (lol).

• Woods house predators. Making your enclosure secure can mitigate this. What are your plans for security?

That is one area I am still trying to figure out. I know I might want to big down into the ground with the side fencing but even that is a question I am currently contemplating.

• Distance isolates you from noise and odors but it probably also means distance from electricity and water so do you want to carry water and brood someplace else or is bringing water and electricity to the chickens an option?

I had contemplated this. For now I figured I could setup a decent extension cord, but water...depends my hose will reach some of the further reaches of the yard, not sure how well the tap works in the winter but because of it's placement right up against a heated basement during the winter it should be fine.

• You're also going to be trekking out to collect eggs and check on feed and water. How far are you willing to go a few times a day?

Well one of the reasons my garden has given me such joy (besides me growing things successfully) is that it gives me a reason to get off my chair from working and allows me to go out back and stretch my back (the dog loves it too).

• Your chickens will need protection from weather. Is cold an Issue? How can you protect from freezing winds? Is heat going to be your problem? How can you maximize cooling breezes?

I live in Michigan, it can get cold. What I have read so far is keeping the humidity out of the coop, also I had considered a red lamp might be needed.

• Chickens require a fair amount of supplies. Will you have a rodent-proof spot nearby for feed, extra bedding, first aid supplies, feeding supplements?

I am hoping to build something into my coop, but if not then a Rubbermaid like storage area for supplies out by the coop.

EDIT: meant to add, thanks for all the great questions.

I live in Michigan, it can get cold. What I have read so far is keeping the humidity out of the coop, also I had considered a red lamp might be needed.

Keeping the water from freezing is another issue.

I am not a fan of red heat lamps for chicks or the hen house. I assume you have not bought chicken supplies so instead of a red heat lamp maybe consider a mama hen type heating pad setup for chicks. It is much more natural and provides them with a sense of security.

I live in Georgia so rarely have to worry about heating the henhouse but if the temp dips into the 20s I use a ceramic heat emitter bulb which does not produce any light, and just a moderate amount of heat to prevent frostbite. The bulbs are $8-$10 bucks and last a long time.

1597552357870.png

Keeping the water from freezing is another issue.

I am not a fan of red heat lamps for chicks or the hen house. I assume you have not bought chicken supplies so instead of a red heat lamp maybe consider a mama hen type heating pad setup for chicks. It is much more natural and provides them with a sense of security.

I live in Georgia so rarely have to worry about heating the henhouse but if the temp dips into the 20s I use a ceramic heat emitter bulb which does not produce any light, and just a moderate amount of heat to prevent frostbite. The bulbs are $8-$10 bucks and last a long time.

View attachment 2292231
Thanks for that. Ya I haven't purchased anything yet.bjust trying to learn and get it all set the best way before I do it.

Thanks for that. Ya I haven't purchased anything yet.bjust trying to learn and get it all set the best way before I do it.

You planning to wait until spring to buy the chicks? I suppose you might be able to find older birds, but if chicks arrive in fall they would probably end up being indoors longer than usual once the cold temps hit which would be a royal pita.

Back
Top Bottom