Better to put on side of house or out back?

We live on a narrow plot of land a bit larger than our house (besides our side yard, but that is down into the swampy area kinda). Out back we have a lot of space, but there is an old shed that is probably a few years from falling down and behind that is a open area that is surrounded by trees and also woods on one side. Our lot is adjacent to a wetlands/swamp area and the other side is my neighbors. I was trying to figure out if it is best to put it close to the house or out back. Our back the smell would not be an issue, but up front it would, but there are foxes/coyotes and other things that do come around. I am gonna try to secure my coop and run as well as I can and that probably will be good for what we have going out there, but looking for best advice. Our house has a L shape out back, but not sure it would be such a great spot for a coop.

Lots of good points above. One thing I will mention is avoid any swampy, boggy areas if there's any that overlap into your yard. Quite a lot of my lot is wetland (stupidly we're designated as wetlands with 0% wetland *facepalm*) so even with 4 acres I was very limited in where I could put my coop and run. Good drainage is KEY in keeping odors down.

We ended up putting it about 20' in front of the living room (we technically have no backyard, so it's 4 acre front yard, and 10' of backyard LOL). The spot we chose is shady, good for being able to keep an eye on predators, easy access throughout the day and night. Smell isn't an issue, we use deep litter plus aforementioned excellent drainage at the location, and double paned windows means noise isn't too bad.

You planning to wait until spring to buy the chicks? I suppose you might be able to find older birds, but if chicks arrive in fall they would probably end up being indoors longer than usual once the cold temps hit which would be a royal pita.
I kinda hoped to, but when looking at the timeframe between now and November I I figure I can start getting things set now and buy the birds in the spring. Then again with availability of some things this year, not sure if I really want to wait that long.

I would put it out back! Mine was close to my house and during fall and winter it smelled so bad for some reason rain/cold weather and chicken poop do not mix it was awful we ended up moving it the back lol 🤷🏻‍♀️ We are in the woods but haven’t had a problem with predators my husband and our dogs mark their territory often 🤣😂😂

This is my backyard. Some older pics too but have garden in there now too
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200127131157421_COVER.jpg

Lots of good input. I’d like to add use high ground. If that means bringing in fill like pit-run to get you a high,level, solid spot then I think the field is wide open for wherever you want it. I think a football field away is an extremely long trek several times a day. I think most coops its pretty hard to smell them 25 feet away unless you have an issue.
also predators tend to stay away from the house compared to a coop on the back 40.
On the flip side, chickens are very social and will LOVE to camp on your porch if you let them out to free range. You’ll be cleaning your deck and porch everyday.
Poop everywhere. It’s one thing they do very efficiently 😂

I kinda hoped to, but when looking at the timeframe between now and November I I figure I can start getting things set now and buy the birds in the spring. Then again with availability of some things this year, not sure if I really want to wait that long.
Well if you get chicks you can figure it will be 6 weeks before they move out to the coop so once you have a plan and a time frame you can get the chicks while the coop is being finished.

It is a shame you can't save that old shed. That would make such a neat hen house!

Well if you get chicks you can figure it will be 6 weeks before they move out to the coop so once you have a plan and a time frame you can get the chicks while the coop is being finished.

Actually... get the coop done BEFORE the chicks. Then if you can run electricity out to the coop, you can brood them outdoors. Easier for you, easier on the chicks, win win.

Also don't think I saw it mentioned, but OP I assume you checked on any setback requirements as far as where the coop can be located? Mine for example is 10' from property line, but no restriction on how close it can be to your own house.

Keeping the water from freezing is another issue.

On another thread people were giving me advice about moving from a hot climate to a cold one. One of the things that came up was an all-weather hydrant. I am just considering such a thing when the time comes but it may give you an option for moving water closer to the chicken area.

A hose is an option but, again, where there's the issue of distance you're going to have to turn it on on one end and operate it on the other. You may have better luck with hoses than I do but mine inevitably blow something -- the hose itself or some part of the nozzle -- when the water doesn't flow through for some period of time. ...and then, of course, there are kinks that keep the water from flowing. So I'd consider how far you'd have to run to shut off it off at the spigot or keep it flowing from one end to the other.

In my hot climate I got a tap installed in my chicken yard just outside the run. It's WONDERFUL!

Actually... get the coop done BEFORE the chicks. Then if you can run electricity out to the coop, you can brood them outdoors. Easier for you, easier on the chicks, win win.

Also don't think I saw it mentioned, but OP I assume you checked on any setback requirements as far as where the coop can be located? Mine for example is 10' from property line, but no restriction on how close it can be to your own house.
Before or after the OP should search for sources now. If she wants to order from a hatchery some still have long delivery times depending on the breed.

Back
Top Bottom