Better way to feed mash?

dpears28

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Superior, Wi
Hi all! I just accidentally bought mash for the first time (had been doing crumbles in the past and meant to try and buy pellets but that's what I get for not asking first)

My question is, Is there a better way to feed mash to my chickens than just dry so as not to waste so much? We put some mash in the feeder and it seemed like just pure dust. How are my girls supposed to eat that? Thank you for helping!

Hi there! I had the exact same issue about a year ago. How I dealt with it was I added the food to moist things. (Water, oatmeal, eggs, etc.) It takes extra work but at least it insures that they eat.
smile.png

Hi there! I had the exact same issue about a year ago. How I dealt with it was I added the food to moist things. (Water, oatmeal, eggs, etc.) It takes extra work but at least it insures that they eat.
smile.png
Thank you! I will have to watch and see if they eat it as is or not. If they don't then I guess I will have to get creative. :)

Just add some water and make a gruel--they love that. Just don't leave it out more than 24 hours, and wash the bowl, so there's no mold. I use large flat pig pans or black rubber pans.

You can use it in a fermented feed program. One option. You can stir in simple water enough to make a porridge and they'll love it. Don't make more than they can eat within a few hours. Best served in those rubber bowls or a trough, of course.
I've been trying to research fermenting feed. You can ferment mash? The same as you would any other feed, just cover the mash in unfiltered water and let it sit for a few days before feeding? Thank you for the reply.

Just add some water and make a gruel--they love that. Just don't leave it out more than 24 hours, and wash the bowl, so there's no mold. I use large flat pig pans or black rubber pans.
Thank you! I will have to give this a try. Maybe this will be their feed tomorrow morning! :)

I do not ferment, but there are a couple of excellent threads here on fermenting feed. It wouldn't make any difference at all if you ferment, because the Apple cider vinegar and water immediately breaks down the crumbles or pellets into mush anyhow. Same same.

If you dampen a scoop or two or mash in a feed bucket, stir with a long handled spoon and let it sit a minute. Stir a bit more and you'll see the feed looks almost precisely the same as crumbles. The only difference is that it is moist and must be fed in a bowl or trough, not a gravity feeder.

I do not ferment, but there are a couple of excellent threads here on fermenting feed. It wouldn't make any difference at all if you ferment, because the Apple cider vinegar and water immediately breaks down the crumbles or pellets into mush anyhow. Same same.

If you dampen a scoop or two or mash in a feed bucket, stir with a long handled spoon and let it sit a minute. Stir a bit more and you'll see the feed looks almost precisely the same as crumbles. The only difference is that it is moist and must be fed in a bowl or trough, not a gravity feeder.
Thank you for the advice. I will have to give a few of the ideas I'm getting here a try. :)

Back
Top Bottom