Betty White has a pale, floppy comb

Perfect!!! Use the aqua-mox. I find it works lots better than penicillin. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days total. You should notice a significant improvement in Betty White in 48 hours.

The poop indicates a possible reproductive tract infection.

But I need to warn you that it could be a cancer tumor. If there is no improvement after ten days on the antibiotic, then we may assume it's something untreatable like a cancer tumor.
Whoops, I think we posted replies at the same time, but thank you so much. I will go with this, and after 10 days reassess. Although I love these girls very much, I am also prepared for the other outcomes.

You are a gem - I hope I can help someone one day with your grace 🥹

You will. At one time I was a new chicken keeper and knew as good as nothing about chickens. Being the charming and fascinating creatures they are, I wanted to know as much as I could about chickens. I had a lot of terrific help from people on this web site, some of whom have left us and this world. I'm getting into that age category where I will be leaving you all at some point, and you will take over helping others with what you've learned.

You will. At one time I was a new chicken keeper and knew as good as nothing about chickens. Being the charming and fascinating creatures they are, I wanted to know as much as I could about chickens. I had a lot of terrific help from people on this web site, some of whom have left us and this world. I'm getting into that age category where I will be leaving you all at some point, and you will take over helping others with what you've learned.
Well, I don’t even know you personally, but that prospect made me emotional. I’m looking forward, as time goes by, that I get to know you better. Not just when one of my chickens are sick. I am a grandma and getting older, as well, but you will be my inspiration moving forward on this site, on how to help others.

Have a good evening and thank you so much again ❤️

@azygous No change except she looks worse, will not eat and her breast bone is really prominent. Her comb looks worse, too. I just gave her some straight nutridrench and some water by syringe, but she won’t even eat treats😞

I’m not sure if I should cull her to prevent further suffering, or let nature take its course?
D305B77B-0845-4A60-883D-3A98CC9418B1.jpeg
E245B085-3248-4B4B-B63C-A428D45E11C9.jpeg

When things are going in the wrong direction, the last thing I try before euthanasia is tube feeding to see if boosting nourishment makes a difference. The only difficult thing about tube feeding is obtaining the supplies. The easiest way is to ask a vet to sell you a feeding kit for small animals. Or you can find some plastic tubing yourself and an oral syringe with ample capacity to fit the tubing. Syringing food is much too slow and stressful.

When things are going in the wrong direction, the last thing I try before euthanasia is tube feeding to see if boosting nourishment makes a difference. The only difficult thing about tube feeding is obtaining the supplies. The easiest way is to ask a vet to sell you a feeding kit for small animals. Or you can find some plastic tubing yourself and an oral syringe with ample capacity to fit the tubing. Syringing food is much too slow and stressful.
Ok, I will find the supplies and try that. Worse case scenario and she passes, if we do a necropsy, what would I be looking for? Just in case she passes on her own. Thank you 🙏

A necropsy might reveal internal laying and/or brownish infectious "soup" in the abdominal cavity. If you find numerous "hard boiled" eggs in the abdomen, that is internal laying. The oviduct might be clogged with salpingitis puss. You might find enlarged organs and there may be tumors on them. Try to recall the size of organ meats you've pulled out of a store bought roasting chicken and compare. You could find worms in the intestines.

Hi @azygous 😊 I am on my way now for the tube feeding items. I just noticed this in my run, Ms. White did not produce this, and I didn’t see who did, but what do you see here? I thought it was worms right away, but they aren’t moving. My husband thinks it looks like seed sprouts?

If it’s something I need to treat it makes me wonder if Ms. White needs that, too. She is still yellow watery poop.

Thank you!

Attachments

• C32E3466-775E-4BA2-AE5D-060D7BD95DD6.jpeg
    C32E3466-775E-4BA2-AE5D-060D7BD95DD6.jpeg
    664.4 KB · Views: 5
  • A48C6622-B8C9-485C-BDB5-6D1FD429A82C.jpeg
    A48C6622-B8C9-485C-BDB5-6D1FD429A82C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Seems I've seen something like those on cow pies. Things do love to grow out of manure.

It's been one week since she's been on the antibiotic? No change? Is she eating and drinking anything at all?

Ah, well, I believe they may have been present when it came out? That you didn’t see anything glaring there, I won’t worry.

No, not a lot of change at all. Still has watery, yellowish stools. She is super lethargic, I can feel her breastbone, she isn’t eating that I have seen, and we are giving her water by syringe. She is separated in a sick cage inside the coop, so is seeing everyone. When I take her out, she lays on the bare floor, not even on shavings.

We are still giving her the antibiotics. She has access to food, scratch, worms and water. She wouldn’t eat scrambled eggs, and my husband gave her nutridrench again last night. It’s frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom