Beware of starting a "Co-Op"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by teresac, Jan 25, 2009.

1. teresac

teresac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Blairsville, GA
    I can across this link the other day about a family in Ohio, that was visited by the SWAT team to raid their home because they started a co-op. PLEASE read. I just can't believe our country has resorted to this. I guess us "home growers" better watch out. [​IMG]

http://countrysidemag.com/blog/cook/?p=13

Has
    anyone else know anyone this kind of experience?

2. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    that is redicolous I guess they want to make sure they get that permit fee. It is a free country as long as you pay the government [​IMG]

3. teresac

teresac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Blairsville, GA
    Well put! I will have to remember that!

4. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, Dont steal the government hates competition.

But this is horrendous, to me you could have just sent a letter! OR at the most have a sheriff go to the door. You honestly think people trying to start a co-op are going to resist, and have weapons!

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

WOW! That's crazy! I do like where it was describing how share the lifestyle with others. I try to do that as much as possible. I've helped create a few chickens addicts. [​IMG]

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Was it a slow day in Lorraine County? Is there some sort of quota that if you don't use your SWAT team X number of times/year, they'll take away your night vision goggles and K9 unit?

When I lived in Ohio we had a food co-op that was similar. You paid $30 to sign up, you had to put in I forget how many hours/week of work at the actual storefront, and you filled out an order form to get certain things. Local produce, organic grain, similar to what these folks are doing. I shudder to think what would have happened if the cops had shown up in full battle mode--either a massive protest (this was a college town) with students getting shot, or the whole place would have been busted for being hippie potheads. Or both, possibly.

We had a health dept. certified kitchen in back, too. One of the suppliers, who was also a member, did the nicest toasted pumpkin seeds, covered in soy sauce, garlic and chili powder, $2/lb. I really miss those.

Seriously, Ohio has a very long history of police/National Guard over-enthusiasm. They are like that. The college towns (Antioch, Kent, Oberlin, Columbus) are better, because you'll at least have a bunch of angry hippies and political science and law professors backing you up and making a stink about injustice, but otherwise you can count on a certain amount of ignorant behavior from any petty official of any sort. I moved away for a reason.

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    They do have a history of overreacting, ah, just a tad. Anybody remember the killing of anti-war demonstrators at Kent State? I was a toddler, probably, but I know lots of you are older . . .

Time to go play that old Neil Young chestnut about Ohio. "Tin soldiers, and Nixon comin', we're finally on our own. This summer I hear their drumming; four dead in Ohio."

Glad nobody was hurt!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  9. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Quote:Yes. [​IMG]
    And I volunteered with the May 4th memorial group when we lived there. Which was kinda cool, I got to meet lots of interesting people because they always needed volunteers for the concerts and to peace marshal the parades/protests and stuff. Ron Kovic is an interesting, v. nice guy in real life.

10. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Man.. it's like Ruby Ridge. [​IMG]
    -Spooky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by