Bexley, Ohio: Our AWESOME new ordinances passed on Tuesday!! Yay!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by JessicainOhio, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JessicainOhio

JessicainOhio Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Bexley, Ohio, a suburban community 5 minutes from Downtown Columbus, with a reputation for being conservative & fancy-pants, just passed awesome new, exceedingly reasonable guidelines for keeping chickens as pets!

We're so proud of our new (pair of) ordinances. Here's the skinny:

--Within 60 days of obtaining the chickens, apply for a permit with the City of Bexley (no fee). More info on this process soon.
    --No roosters
    --No more than 5 total animals (dogs, cats, chickens) per household, with a max of 3 dogs.
    --You must have a coop that's shielded from the front of your property by a fence, you house, etc.
    --You may not sell the eggs from your chickens (though bribing neighbors is not prohibited [​IMG]
    --Of course, existing noise & nuisance (smell) ordinances apply, as do humane treatment rules.

Throughout the process our city council was respectful, thoughtful, and supportive, as was the community as a whole.

I know that not everyone has it this good (yet), but I hope our story is inspirational: This tide is turning & people are waking up to the fun & good-sense of urban chickens!

-Jessica

2. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Congrats, Jessica!

Does Bexley still allow pigeons? And how does that fit with the total animals?

3. JessicainOhio

JessicainOhio Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Hmm...I have no idea. I think that because they are not explicitly included in the ordinances that they're still completely okay in whatever numbers.

4. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

Alright!!! Very happy for you!!! [​IMG]

5. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Yippee!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Soo exciting!!! I wish our city would loosen the rules!

6. Count Orloff

Count Orloff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    I was very excited to see that this passed, especially in Bexley of all places! For those of you who aren't familiar with Columbus, Bexley is a very affluent area within Columbus with a lot of old money and fancy mansions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by