Bexley, Ohio: Our AWESOME new ordinances passed on Tuesday!! Yay!

JessicainOhio

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
Bexley, Ohio, a suburban community 5 minutes from Downtown Columbus, with a reputation for being conservative & fancy-pants, just passed awesome new, exceedingly reasonable guidelines for keeping chickens as pets!

We're so proud of our new (pair of) ordinances. Here's the skinny:

--Within 60 days of obtaining the chickens, apply for a permit with the City of Bexley (no fee). More info on this process soon.
--No roosters
--No more than 5 total animals (dogs, cats, chickens) per household, with a max of 3 dogs.
--You must have a coop that's shielded from the front of your property by a fence, you house, etc.
--You may not sell the eggs from your chickens (though bribing neighbors is not prohibited
smile.png

--Of course, existing noise & nuisance (smell) ordinances apply, as do humane treatment rules.

Throughout the process our city council was respectful, thoughtful, and supportive, as was the community as a whole.

I know that not everyone has it this good (yet), but I hope our story is inspirational: This tide is turning & people are waking up to the fun & good-sense of urban chickens!

-Jessica

Hmm...I have no idea. I think that because they are not explicitly included in the ordinances that they're still completely okay in whatever numbers.

I was very excited to see that this passed, especially in Bexley of all places! For those of you who aren't familiar with Columbus, Bexley is a very affluent area within Columbus with a lot of old money and fancy mansions.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom